Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ash/Oak Dining Chairs

Ash/Oak Dining Chairs

boy, why did I choose ash. What was I thinking?
    AFter making the 3rd or 4th template,(just couldnt seem to get it right), cutting thick ash down to thickness then rough cutting on bandsaw is not anywhere as easy as the mahogany/sapele chairs I made.
    As soon as I put the first leg on the router table to trim to shape, the ryobi bit fell apart. The guide bushing flew off and after 40 minutes of looking for it, I gave up and bought a new Amana bit today.
    Very slow start. Very slow. I dont have any furniture grade thick ash, so Im weeding through the "trash ash" and cutting around all the knots and bad spots. Why did I choose ash.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-13-2010 at 02:32 AM.

I decided Im going to have mix up all the pieces with white oak and ash.
    I have a tremendous amount of white oak shorts and making chairs with all the short small pieces is a good way to use it all up.
    I believe after applying some oil to the finished chairs the white oak and ash will look similar in shading and some of the grain patterns.
    Heres the first prototype chair with mixed pieces of oak and ash.(those are all the pieces for one chair)
    I still have to cut mortises and tenons. Its a slow process for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 606 (Medium).jpg   bed 607 (Medium).jpg   bed 608 (Medium).jpg  

It seems slow cause your still in vacation mode. Looks good so far. How many chairs this time?

yeah his slow mode is much faster than most of us in go gear
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks good from here Allen. To me chairs are by far the most challenging pieces to make.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    It seems slow cause your still in vacation mode. Looks good so far. How many chairs this time?
    nah, my hands keep spasming so Im having a rough time holding pieces down and straight. thankgod monday I get my infusions for a few days.
    I need 6 chairs, but IM not sure if Im going to use the one Im making now.
    I have to see how it turns out, the original router bit gave me a bit of headaches on the curved back legs.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-03-2010 at 12:20 AM.

I only had 2 hours today to work on the chair, I had to install new front door locks.(I waited for my son to help)
    Heres where Im up to.
    The back piece was cut poorly at the shoulder only because I did it free hand on the bandsaw. I might fix it, I might just cut a new one the correct way.
    The back is 46 inches high.
    Its a bit wider then the first set of chairs I built myself, those being 16 inches width, these are more like 17.5, since the seat cushion will sit inside the rabbet I cut out on the seat rails. I will use a forstner bit to make a curved cut on the top of the front legs to match the channel for the seat cushion to rest, then hand chisel the rest to get it all to match. Nothing will be exactly the same, but thats hand built furniture. I will round over all exposed edges and I will use my block plane to bevel top and bottom of legs. Simple,very, very simple design, (I must build within my comfort zone) but with a little oil, a nice comtemporary fabric pattern, I think they will look fine.
    I thought Id have tomorrow and thursday to work all day and start milling up lumber for the chairs, but my son is asking me to schlep my compressor and tools to his home tomorrow to help him hang all the moldings. Not something Im looking foward too. Then it seems I was enlisted to help out on another job on thursday morning. doesnt anyone understand Im not a well man?
    Im dog tired today, wish I had more of the chair done to show.(the pictures dont show the nice curve I put on the bottom of the back legs)

and for the record, I thought my delta drill press attachment was the bomb. Well, I sadly stand corrected, but must admit Im wrong. The mortiser is so much easier to use and set up, and cuts so much easier, important to me, because I lack the hand and arm strength, and the small drill press was a chore when one has to cut a 100 or so mortises.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 609 (Medium).jpg   bed 611 (Medium).jpg   bed 612 (Medium).jpg   bed 613 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.

the back legs are rough cut on the bandsaw, then I use 2 sided tape and hold the rough cut to a template and use a flush trim bit.
    I do the back the same way, and used the legs curve to shape the back piece.

The chairs are gonna look nice, Allen. I like the simple, clean lines. Just 2 hours, huh? I'd still be trying to remember where I left the danged pencil after 2 hours.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i think yur heade on a another great journey allen,, lookun good ,, i like the back style you got going.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!