Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad backs and woodworking

Bad backs and woodworking

Quite of few of you reported having bad backs when Dom joined the family. Here are two of my ways of avoiding lifting and bending.

The bench has an HF scissors lift table for a base. The other is an HF electric hoist. They both get used a lot!

The hoist lifted my follow along project with the 100+ pound mortiser attached. I worked on the drawer installation without bending! I did lock the brakes and never took if off the lifting strap.

I have other tricks, but what are some of yours?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bench lift.jpg   hoist.jpg  

I made a table saw/ router table with pieces I had in the garage. I made it 42 inches high so I would not have to bend over. I did the same with my table extensions. That seems to work for me! Now all I have to remember is to NOT take any of my meds before cutting wood...and I should be fine.

Lookin good Carol I like these two items they look like they will save your back tremendously while you do all my projects a save my back too.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

another vote for making them the height that feels good to you..also use my head more than my back as much as i can. look at the job before you just go do it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Carol,
    I have the HF scissors table, with an auxiliary top. I use it for assembly and finishing of workpieces, as well as for moving heavy objects from the back of my truck into the shop.

For lifting, I have a two ton engine hoist, but it'll only get stuff up about six~seven feet, so taller objects are still sometimes a hassle to get out of the truck.

I've been thinking about a hoist like yours, but my shop is built with roof trusses (no heavy joists) so I'd have to add a couple columns to make a hoist work well. That'd just take up some floorspace, so I doubt I'll get the hoist.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

great thread. I have a herniated disk and I'm looking forward to all your ideas. The only thing I do is have a couple of son in laws come over and lift it for me
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The door was open so i stepped in.

I use these for my back to deal with lifting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tylenol_arthritis.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	47792

cheers

Hi,

My 84.5 yr old body and 114 pound weight really appreciates that I have very strong neighbors on both sides of our home and three strong ones across the street.

I live in a wonderful neighborhood...fantastic people.

I also put my physics classes information to work very frequently. Unfortunately I also use my stupidity on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Carol,
    I have the HF scissors table, with an auxiliary top. I use it for assembly and finishing of workpieces, as well as for moving heavy objects from the back of my truck into the shop.

For lifting, I have a two ton engine hoist, but it'll only get stuff up about six~seven feet, so taller objects are still sometimes a hassle to get out of the truck.

I've been thinking about a hoist like yours, but my shop is built with roof trusses (no heavy joists) so I'd have to add a couple columns to make a hoist work well. That'd just take up some floorspace, so I doubt I'll get the hoist.
    Jim
    25 years ago I had a garage like that, and I placed a beam perpendicular to the trusses that spanned several of them. Used that to pull a Chevy 283 with a chain joist with no problem. I didn't have a ceiling to deal with but a small access to the beam should work even with a ceiling..

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

I also put my physics classes information to work very frequently. Unfortunately I also use my stupidity on occasion.

Jim
    Jim so do I as I figure you shouldn't let anything go to waste! I just wish it was my physics more often.
    Garry

Enjoy,