Bad backs and woodworking

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Quite of few of you reported having bad backs when Dom joined the family. Here are two of my ways of avoiding lifting and bending.

The bench has an HF scissors lift table for a base. The other is an HF electric hoist. They both get used a lot!

The hoist lifted my follow along project with the 100+ pound mortiser attached. I worked on the drawer installation without bending! I did lock the brakes and never took if off the lifting strap.

I have other tricks, but what are some of yours?

Attachments

• bench lift.jpg
    bench lift.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 78
  • hoist.jpg
    hoist.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 83
I made a table saw/ router table with pieces I had in the garage. I made it 42 inches high so I would not have to bend over. I did the same with my table extensions. That seems to work for me! Now all I have to remember is to NOT take any of my meds before cutting wood...and I should be fine.:rofl:

another vote for making them the height that feels good to you..also use my head more than my back as much as i can. look at the job before you just go do it.

Carol,
I have the HF scissors table, with an auxiliary top. I use it for assembly and finishing of workpieces, as well as for moving heavy objects from the back of my truck into the shop.

For lifting, I have a two ton engine hoist, but it'll only get stuff up about six~seven feet, so taller objects are still sometimes a hassle to get out of the truck.

I've been thinking about a hoist like yours, but my shop is built with roof trusses (no heavy joists) so I'd have to add a couple columns to make a hoist work well. That'd just take up some floorspace, so I doubt I'll get the hoist.

Hi,

My 84.5 yr old body and 114 pound weight really appreciates that I have very strong neighbors on both sides of our home and three strong ones across the street.

I live in a wonderful neighborhood...fantastic people.

I also put my physics classes information to work very frequently. Unfortunately I also use my stupidity on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim

Carol,
I have the HF scissors table, with an auxiliary top. I use it for assembly and finishing of workpieces, as well as for moving heavy objects from the back of my truck into the shop.

For lifting, I have a two ton engine hoist, but it'll only get stuff up about six~seven feet, so taller objects are still sometimes a hassle to get out of the truck.

I've been thinking about a hoist like yours, but my shop is built with roof trusses (no heavy joists) so I'd have to add a couple columns to make a hoist work well. That'd just take up some floorspace, so I doubt I'll get the hoist.

Jim
25 years ago I had a garage like that, and I placed a beam perpendicular to the trusses that spanned several of them. Used that to pull a Chevy 283 with a chain joist with no problem. I didn't have a ceiling to deal with but a small access to the beam should work even with a ceiling..

Garry

It sucks to have knowledge of what back pain is.
I know very little, but I know about back pain and now, unfortunately, neuromuscular disease.
Ive had 2 disketomies back in the mid 90s.

All the machines and devices used for lifting are excellent ideas.
Having wheels under anything you need to move instead of carrying is good also.
Dont forget the 99 cent magnetic wand. A very used tool in my shop.
Bending to pick up screws or tools that fall can take its toll.Learn how to lift properly.

Your back is not nice to you if youre not nice to it.
You may be able to work all day with just a little pain, maybe drop some advil, loose enough to work, but, and this is usually always the case, your back will repay you later that night or the next morning. It doesnt forget.
Its impossible to woodwork and not bend or twist or lift.
Prevention and knowing the warning signs of strain will keep you straight and in the shop. Ignoring the warning signs and trying to push through some mild pain will usually put you into bed the next day.(or you will be doing the crooked mans walk)
As soon as you feel that little twinge, it is your back telling you its had enough. Stop. REst right then. Dont wait.
If you are someone who suffers alot with lower back pain, before you do anything in the morning, get a list of back stretching excercises and do them religiously every day. Youd be amazed how 10 minutes of back stretching in the morning will save you weeks of agony. You may think the 10 minutes is silly and a waste of time, but you obviously havent suffered a herniated disk or bulging disk. Once that hot dagger is stuck into your butt cheek and twisted around till you want to jump out of your skin, youll hate yourself for not doing a few stretching excercises. Been there, done that.
I will be working long amounts of time on the planer and jointer and tablesaw the next couple of months making many parts for chairs. Its tedious, and often that kind of work can aggrevate your back. Its important to stop every 30 minutes or so, walk around, stretch, relax, anything that eases the muscles so you dont tighten up.
I have limited feeling in my left foot and toes due to a herniated disk that fragmented and cut into the leg nerve. Nerves sometimes never heal. I still feel unsteady on stairs or climbing a ladder.
Listen to your back.

Thanks, Allen.. You have really expanded on this subject.

I do Tai Chi. Not only does it stretch long muscles and tenons, it disciplines the mind. It is easy to be distracted with repetitive tasks, and woodworking can have loads of repetitive tasks. The mind needs to be disciplined to avoid injury due to distraction.

Tai Chi is non-impact and easy to learn. And it is hard to appreciate the benefits until you have experienced them.

What do I use? He's on the left side...had him about 24 years now, but about to lose him to the Navy though once they find him a job. :D

EPP_pan_009.JPG

Back is strong, arms and legs are gone. :( MRI this afternoon to see why. :dunno:

Son and Grandsons are my trick to lifting... :thumb: Why you think I put up with their teenage years? Daughter has all girls so I guess I better look into that HF jack, Was looking at it, just yesterday, as it was on sale and it looked so cool...

I too utilize the magnet wand, close by stool, and the occasional... "Hon, can you hold this...?" :eek:

Age defines our mobility, hope I'm WWing when I'm 84. :) Heck, I hope I'm here at 84... :eek:

You are right, Jim. Archimedes is our friend!

And guys, where are your pictures????

Hmmmmm????? :wave::rolleyes:

Okay Carol....Here is what I use everyday. A few notes. I made the unit 42 inches high. Since I am 5'9", this was the best height for me. The table has an extension on the back, connected with a piano hinge, which makes it easier to store when not in use. The router table was bought at the Orange store. It was on clearance due to a broken leg. It had started life as a counter top router table. I took it apart and recessed it into the table. Works very well for me. On the back of the unit, to drilled 2 holes for easy dust removal. The door on the router side also has a piano hinge, for router adjustments. This was all made with scraps from other projects.

Attachments

• router complete.jpg
    router complete.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 39
  • router complete 3.jpg
    router complete 3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34
  • router complete 4.jpg
    router complete 4.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 36
  • router complete 2.jpg
    router complete 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 34
Okay Carol....Here is what I use everyday. A few notes. I made the unit 42 inches high. Since I am 5'9", this was the best height for me. The table has an extension on the back, connected with a piano hinge, which makes it easier to store when not in use. The router table was bought at the Orange store. It was on clearance due to a broken leg. It had started life as a counter top router table. I took it apart and recessed it into the table. Works very well for me. On the back of the unit, to drilled 2 holes for easy dust removal. The door on the router side also has a piano hinge, for router adjustments. This was all made with scraps from other projects.

Sorry, too neat, has to go.... only minimal dust apparent, obviously staged, Woodworking Poser... I'll be by to pick it up, just PM me with directions, will bring wife to do lifting... :wave: