Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Priceless expression.

Priceless expression.

I try not to be mean, or too sarcastic, or too obnoxious, but some people just set themselves up and its hard to resist.

Had a small social gathering recently. didnt think much of it, but last night I was asked again by someone, so it brought back the memory.

I was complimented on my work, which one I dont know, it was just a general compliment, oh, your woodworking is so beautiful, yada, yada.......it was nice of them, so I thanked them. When did I start, how did I get into it, who taught me, why did I choose woodworking, all the general questions.
    Then, they popped a question, about making a cabinet for them to fit in a place under the stairs.
    Nothing fancy, and they would expect to pay for the supplies.(wow, they did not offer me money for my time, but I suspect friendship dollars would handle that, not that Im really that friendly with them, but weve known each other for many years, ya know, a friend of a friend of a friend)
    So, I told them sure, what exactly are you looking for, what kind of wood, how many shelves, is it built into the wall, do they need moldings, that would add to the cost, do they want any door or drawers, another cost issue.
    We talked about for 25 minutes or so, my wife giving me glances, since she knows how I feel about people expecting(not asking, there is a difference) me to build things for them since I own a tablesaw and a couple of tools.
    I never brag about my work, and I dont invite anyone to my home to view my work(Id like to have larry or alan, hec, any familyww member come by and take a look and give me some pointers), I just build things and show it here.
    So, I told them approx what I think the materials would run them all together, and agreed Id build it. Then the wife asked me around an hour later, so when do I want to look at the space, or measure, and I said give me a couple of weeks and Ill get there to measure.
    Wow, you think that fast? I then said, sure, measuring only takes 10 minutes for a small bookcase type of thing. she was all smiles.
    Then I went on, " I think I should be free sometime after October 2013 and might be able to get going on it."
    You should have seen the look on her face, priceless. Im mean, I know. I just couldnt resist.
    And Im not sure why Im posting this, but I know so many of you people must go through where people who really arent in your close circle of friends think you have nothing better to do than stop everything and build them a box.

and its funny, cause if my close circle of friends needed something, or something like shelves put up, or molding, Id be more than happy to assist them or take them on after I finished the project I was working on.Id rarely say no to my close circle.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-05-2010 at 02:58 AM.

well done Allen. Snap Snap Snap. is all i can say.

I am trying to think of a neat sign to hang in my shop or in my house.

The only thing i have thought of so far is to undertake the work and deliver a real screw up. Then say "Gee thats my finest work, what else would you like me to make". But make sure they bought the material and it was already paid for.
    cheers

I wasnt lieing either, since Im booked with builds/projects till 2014.

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yes, that was a definite "Oh snap!" moment. Well played, Mr, Levine.

I'm sure a lot of us get similar "you've got a saw, so you must want to build me something for free/cheap" assumptions from our circle of friends. Last night was my first night with a new pool league team. I already knew most of the guys, but had never met Andy, my new partner. I'd no sooner met him when he noticed my pool cue case. "Oh, you're the case guy!" he said. "I've heard about you. I need to get you to make me a new case because mine isn't big enough for all my sticks anymore. I'll bring my old cases in next week and see what ideas you have." Although I was flattered, I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd want at least $500 to make a case like mine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post

I am trying to think of a neat sign to hang in my shop or in my house.
    How about

"Paying customers move to the front of the line. Currently the line ends on - pick a date (have a place where this can be regularly updated)."
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie you cracked me up especially with visions of the NN seeing the line up outside the shop. Oh boy i wish i was a cartoonist. Can you imagine.
    cheers

that was great allen ,, maybe someday i can get paid for what i have done
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great post Allen, well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    How about

"Paying customers move to the front of the line. Currently the line ends on - pick a date (have a place where this can be regularly updated)."
    That is good Rennie!

I also like

Fast/Cheap/Good <- Pick Two
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've only had one request and I told that individual I would start the next day by planting a tree. And....uh....keep in touch.