Priceless expression.

allen levine

I try not to be mean, or too sarcastic, or too obnoxious, but some people just set themselves up and its hard to resist.

Had a small social gathering recently. didnt think much of it, but last night I was asked again by someone, so it brought back the memory.

I was complimented on my work, which one I dont know, it was just a general compliment, oh, your woodworking is so beautiful, yada, yada.......it was nice of them, so I thanked them. When did I start, how did I get into it, who taught me, why did I choose woodworking, all the general questions.
Then, they popped a question, about making a cabinet for them to fit in a place under the stairs.
Nothing fancy, and they would expect to pay for the supplies.(wow, they did not offer me money for my time, but I suspect friendship dollars would handle that, not that Im really that friendly with them, but weve known each other for many years, ya know, a friend of a friend of a friend)
So, I told them sure, what exactly are you looking for, what kind of wood, how many shelves, is it built into the wall, do they need moldings, that would add to the cost, do they want any door or drawers, another cost issue.
We talked about for 25 minutes or so, my wife giving me glances, since she knows how I feel about people expecting(not asking, there is a difference) me to build things for them since I own a tablesaw and a couple of tools.
I never brag about my work, and I dont invite anyone to my home to view my work(Id like to have larry or alan, hec, any familyww member come by and take a look and give me some pointers), I just build things and show it here.
So, I told them approx what I think the materials would run them all together, and agreed Id build it. Then the wife asked me around an hour later, so when do I want to look at the space, or measure, and I said give me a couple of weeks and Ill get there to measure.
Wow, you think that fast? I then said, sure, measuring only takes 10 minutes for a small bookcase type of thing. she was all smiles.
Then I went on, " I think I should be free sometime after October 2013 and might be able to get going on it."
You should have seen the look on her face, priceless. Im mean, I know. I just couldnt resist.
And Im not sure why Im posting this, but I know so many of you people must go through where people who really arent in your close circle of friends think you have nothing better to do than stop everything and build them a box.

and its funny, cause if my close circle of friends needed something, or something like shelves put up, or molding, Id be more than happy to assist them or take them on after I finished the project I was working on.Id rarely say no to my close circle.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: well done Allen. Snap Snap Snap. is all i can say.

I am trying to think of a neat sign to hang in my shop or in my house.:rofl:

The only thing i have thought of so far is to undertake the work and deliver a real screw up. Then say "Gee thats my finest work, what else would you like me to make". But make sure they bought the material and it was already paid for.

Yes, that was a definite "Oh snap!" moment. Well played, Mr, Levine. :thumb: :p

I'm sure a lot of us get similar "you've got a saw, so you must want to build me something for free/cheap" assumptions from our circle of friends. Last night was my first night with a new pool league team. I already knew most of the guys, but had never met Andy, my new partner. I'd no sooner met him when he noticed my pool cue case. "Oh, you're the case guy!" he said. "I've heard about you. I need to get you to make me a new case because mine isn't big enough for all my sticks anymore. I'll bring my old cases in next week and see what ideas you have." Although I was flattered, I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd want at least $500 to make a case like mine. ;)

I get it quite often from relatives. I really have no interest in doing anything free for them so I usually tell them I have a bunch of projects planned for the kids and grandkids and i have no idea as to when I could get to them. 8 months later when I see them again they usually have forgotten :D
I have no interest in doing anything for money either. Too much pressure. Like Allen I want to take care of my kids.:)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'll have to remember that one Allen. I get asked frequently, but usually just turn folks away, or if it's a good friend, I'll offer to assist and teach them.

I've only had one request and I told that individual I would start the next day by planting a tree. And....uh....keep in touch.

Now that's what I call building green! ;) :rofl:

alot of it is my own fault. When I started building adirondack chairs back in August of 2006, there was a point when my yard was just chuck full of outdoor furniture, noone could walk anymore. so I started making chairs as gifts for my relatives, then friends, then neighbors.
Then someone said, I need a table for outside, gave me money for the wood, and I was happy.I had something to build.(building a picnic table out of pressure treated lumber only took one afternoon)
But once I discovered hardwoods, and wanted to try building something that someone would actually use in their home, well, builds took much longer, finishing alone would take 2 weeks. The requests kept rolling in, but I started explaining how busy I was making this or that.
eh, Id still not refuse someone close to me, but now that I have my sons house to furnish, its an easier excuse.
My daughter tried to explain to me(the teacher side of her) that people expressing interest in my work means Im very talented and I should take it as a compliment. I then explained to her, the realistic side of me, that the people that ask me for things, arent complimenting me, they are cheapos looking for something for free. Its that simple.
My niece put me on the spot last night, asked me to cut her a J today so she can have someone paint it for her.(her name is Jessica). Not a big deal, but if I didnt have the bandsaw out and set up with the right blade, this would be a 2 hour chore moving machines, changing blades, etc.....moving it all back. She gets a pass.

Last edited:
I enjoy doing and making things other people will enjoy. I don't have any firm rules, if I feel like it, I do it and give it away.
But, if I get a sniff someone wants to take advantage of my good nature that good nature vanishes right quick. I will say I charge and have other projects waiting, both of which are true.

had a similair situation two weeks ago, i am on 32 hr weeks and so that means my Fridays are usually free.. well a good friend asked if i could make some special siding for him, well he wanted it the next day..:eek: so in our conversation he said he was willing to pay for it.. so we done the work and when it came time to get paid, i told him to pay me what he would charge for the work,, he hesitated a min and then said hey this is your shop not mine.. i in turn told him to consider it was his and what would you charge.. we came to agreement and i dont think he will be thinking he gets stuff for free anymore.. he was gettin paid for this from a client, and i know he will still make money off the work but at least i am not taking it on the cuff.. time and overhead still comes into play for all of us.

I sell health and beauty aids, paper goods, etc......so Ive gotten used to people calling me at 5:20 on saturday afternoon asking me if I could bring them home this, they just havent had a chance to get out, or forgot, and they are going out tonight, nothing major, and they always pay me, but its the little things that people dont understand. I worked 10 hours, and then I have to drive for 45 minutes or longer if traffic, and all I want to do is get home and take off my shoes and relax my fat crippled body. I dont want to be a delivery boy, I dont want to have to drive by their house, (as they always say, can ya drop it off, were on the way home for you), it just amazes me how inconsiderate people who are supposed to be your friend can be.
And then there are the people who just have no clue, and those are usually the ones closest to me who I can't say no too.
I bring something home for them, oh, Ill stop by at 8:00 on my way out.
Then at 10:45 pm, when Im in bed or watching TV, relaxed, showered, ready for bed, completely worn out by a days work, they want to stop by because they forgot at 8:00 pm.
My wife tells me Im too good to them all the time, that they have to go around my schedule, not me around theirs when I do them favors.
I know for a fact Im certainly not alone and I know so many here must get all worked up when people are just inconsiderate to them regarding woodworking or carpentry.Its hard to explain to people who dont have the same headaches.

Well Allen, I think you did the right thing with that moocher. And Vaughn, and Larry.

I had a guy call me up out of the blue - not even a friend, just someone I had a professional relationship with, said "Ken you've got a chopsaw right? Could you cut some cardboard tubing for me to make a periscope for my kids?" I told him how to do it with a handsaw and to call me if it didn't work. He called a few weeks later to say he was afraid to try with a handsaw, so I did it with the chopsaw. Took me about 5 minutes. I keep my shop closed so folks who aren't my real friends, [and FWW buddies] can't see what I've got. Paranoid? Hmmm.

Having been a WWing teacher in schools, you would not believe how many teachers will "Expect" you to fix their stuff, "Get the kids to do it"... (#1) Kids have planed curriculm projects and repairing your stuff is not on the list. (#2) Kids are learning basic techniques so the "fix it" person is ME.

Usually the reply was "come by after school and I'll show you how" usually followed up with a "No Show".

Sometimes some of the old gals would just send broken furniture to the shop by her students, expecting it repaired, Thes were usually piled in the storage room with countless others.

One old biddie actually went to flea markets and antique sales to buy junk and send it to the shops for repair (free repair) Hers are still piled in the store room (I guess, they were there when I left)

One time a teacher sent a note with one of her students, asking when the repair would be complete, I sent back a bill... Some of these old gals had bigger stones than you might think.

Most guy teachers would take you up on the "Come on by after school" offer and we had a great time. Ever so often a couple young gal teachers would follow through, and turn into pretty good students.

One Music teacher got so enthused with WWing that he spent more time in my shop than his classroom. Eventually he left teaching to manage a Shopsmith store.

Still today, Weekly I go to a Cardio Rehab and constantly older gals come up to me and have some piece of furniture broken... I usually do it for them, usually requires my driving to their house to pick it up.
They usually want to pay, but I say (If I don't have any money or too much work involved) First one is free, You can pay for the next one...

Our high school charges for jobs and it is a very popular service.
The farm and welding classes get a lot of practice doing jobs. Making grooming chutes is almost a production thing. They are well built and reasonably priced.