Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the hot weather

the hot weather

Talking about the weather is usually trite. But, this year, the heat all over the country is exceptional. I am only able to work in the yard for about two hours. Then I quit because it can get dangerous, even with rests and plenty of water. The past couple days my two, good quality, digital thermometers registered 104 and 105 degrees respectively in the shade. That's hot.
    Reports are cattle are dying and ponds are drying up. I went through a similar situation years ago when I had cattle. It is a terrible struggle and sad thing to observe, and that does not include the financial losses. I have driven through Kansas several times and always wonder about the many cattle I see with no shade. You can drive all day and never see a tree.
    Not forecast, but right now it is clouded up and winds are stirring like we might get rain. That would be a relief.
    Oops! As I write this, skies cleared, sun came out and a/c kicked in. Some things we don't control.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I have been hitting it early in the mornings while Lou is still asleep. Cattle are drinking quite heavily which is a good thing. Grass is still growing even though it has been extremely hot. We finally got some rain over the past couple of days, but the relief is gone immediately as the humidity takes over when it stops raining. No AC here, just fans. Oh and the cows and yearlings as well as the horses all have access to trees/shade.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

In Florida, you think we would be used to this type of heat. We are not. Normally along the coast in Volusia county, we are about 87-90, with it getting to 70 at night. We have had upper 90's now for about 2 months, and things are starting to die due to a lack of rain and no hurricanes. Water restrictions are in place and it is REALLY uncomfortable. The temperature is even affecting the beach where water temps are abnormally high. This brings in the sharks and we are going to hit an all time high for shark bites this year. Can't wait for the winter when the temps get in the 60's and I can stop running the A/C all the time.

103 here yesterday. Pretty warm and it ain't no dry heat. Right now sky's are black and thunder is rolling. Just no rain as of yet. Cattle and donkey are doing fine. Pastures are still in good shape. How much longer I don't know. The bassets and beagle are hating this heat.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    There was an article in the paper the other day that this is one of the coolest Summers on record. Seems the average temp for July is well below normal. That said it's going to be around 108 today so you couldn't prove it by me.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here in the upper Puget Sound area, we have had a wonderful summer, at least in my view. It has been mostly in the 60's and 70's with an occasional day or two of rain interspersed every once in a while. We have avoided any real hot days. The marine offshore push has been our friend this summer, by keeping the temps lows. Also known as our "natural air conditioning", marine pushes are when we get a rush of cool, moist air coming in off the Pacific Ocean. Yesterday, it had heated up to 80 and the humidity was high, but all that was offset by thunderstorms last night.

So in summary it has been a week or two of cool, sunny to partly cloudy weather and then a day or two of light rain to clean everything up and we start the cycle all over again. I feel for you folk sweltering all over the country.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

We just saw an article this morning that Knoxville lost a police dog to heat exhaustion and the handler wound up in the hospital... they were chasing a burglary suspect and I guess forgot to keep the dog hydrated.... there was two dogs and two handlers and the other dog also was taken to the vet with heat problems...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Been building fence today. Put and built two H braces. Have some grass that hasn't been fenced in for a couple of years so the horses get some new grass that I have been bush hogging so it stays sweet. Put in 14 wood posts a couple days ago, 6 30" diameter posts 10' long yesterday. Got to get all tamped and filled so can run fence wire and get yearlings moved to the back and let cows/calves and the bull out on some fresh grass. Have some rejuvenating to do this fall on the big pasture. Stay cool everyone. Going to get my grandson, CJ for the afternoon so have to get some gas for the tractor, we will be riding around the farm for an hour or so.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

It so hot here the Ice Cream truck melted!

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

That is funny and not far from truth.
    It clouded up again and we got some rain and temps are in mid-70s. A nice break. Not what was forecast but, then, when is it ever what is forecast?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire