Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: me and elektriks

me and elektriks

I have said many times here, I am pretty ignorant of things electrical. However, I can do things if I see it and can duplicate.
    But, also as I have said: "WHY CAN'T THINGS BE SIMPLE?"

Here is the deal. I am replacing the ceiling light fixtures in the kitchen. We have two. I did the first with little hassle. The wires on old fixture were: black to black; white to white and a ground.
    The new fixture had same set up. I put them back same way as old and it worked and house did not burn down.
    OK, good.

Went to second fixture. Same model as first. WRONG!
    Looks the same but the wires are: ground; red to red; black to black; black to black to white and white to white to white.
    New fixture offers only black and white and ground.

I'm bumfuzzled.

Other than calling an electrician, what should I do?

Oh, we did get a thunderstorm. Standing out in the lightening is almost sounding like a good solution. Would save ammunition and a mess.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I take that back, have ya got a volt meter ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I take that back, have ya got a volt meter ?
    Yes. Do I know how to use it? Barely haven't touched in years.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

what bother me is the black to white. Normaly white is for neutral which is tied to the ground back at the breaker box. Black is on hot leg and red is another hot leg. from red or black to neutral you should get 110 Volts with power on and the swith closed. You should also get 220 between red to black. hmmmm puzzeling. It would seem to me that someone is using the white as a hot leg some how. This light fixture would be on a circuit where you have two swithed to turn it on or off would it ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

what bother me is the black to white. Normaly white is for neutral which is tied to the ground back at the breaker box. Black is on hot leg and red is another hot leg. from red or black to neutral you should get 110 Volts with power on and the swith closed. You should also get 220 between red to black. hmmmm puzzeling. It would seem to me that someone is using the white as a hot leg some how. This light fixture would be on a circuit where you have two swithed to turn it on or off would it ?
    Thats usually running to a wall switch...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Thats usually running to a wall switch...

I realise that is done sometimes but it don't make it right.

Sounds like this light is running off a three-way switched circuit, and one of those wire sets (usually the red one) is serving as a 'traveller' between the switches.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Yep, it is on a two way thingy that is really called a three way thingy.

Friend is coming by tomorrow to do it.
    He was confused about the way it is wired now.

I agree with Jim, the red is probably a traveler, whites all tied together are probably neutral (check with a meter).

A 3 way setup usually has the power coming into one switch using a black, white, and ground; then heads to the other switch with red, black, white, and ground; and then the other switch would have a black, white, and ground heading to the light.

Which wires did the old light come off of? Ground should be obvious, but of the other two wires you disconnected from the old fixture you should be able to determine which is hot and which is neutral with a meter, then connect black to the hot wire, and white to the neutral.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault