Darren's Shop

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that I'd start a thread for my shop layout ideas.

I found a layout tool over on the CB Structures site and am now starting to see what the scale of my upcoming new shop will be compared to the tools, shelving, and other stuff I have...kinda overwhelming coming from a single car garage. :eek:

http://www.cbstructuresinc.com/layout-planner/

attachment.php

Attachments

• shoplayout.jpg
    shoplayout.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,026
Last edited:
i thought you were dreaming already with the last couple threads yu started..i would run a partition in frt of the vehicles far enough ahead to have room for the other toys lawn mower, boat perhaps then use the rest for shop.. if i remeber right you have a over head door on the back right corner.. that would make good access for larger tools and for stuff to come out that is made and ready for delivery.

You are correct Larry, there is another garage door on the end. The last 20' of the back side is gravel as well, which I'm planning to use part of for lawn and storage of equipment.

Some of the walls are insulated, but first priority (after house remodeling and moving) will be sealing up the building. Will need to look at options for insulating it there-after. It's got 12' side walls, and with the overall size, it's not going to be cheap, so partitioning may be the most economical option.

Things I'm wanting to have in the garage are:
  • Woodworking area including space for the CNC router (and future larger version 5'X8')
  • Welding and metalworking area.
  • An office/sitting area with a beverage fridge.
  • Parking and place to work on vehicles and general mechanic stuff.
  • Lawn and outdoor equipment storage.

Wish list:
  • Run a water and sewer lines at some point for a clean-up/bath/shower area.
  • Pour concrete in the gravel area.
  • Acquire a car lift

The water and sewer lines may get done sooner than later since I've offered to put in a place for my parents to park their fifth-wheel when visiting.

well the 12ft ceiling will nice for the hoist!! as for the who gets what area.. i would use the work on vehicle part as the park area as well.. combine as much in there as you can comfortably.. you need to make some size requirements in the program you are using for the pic and move them around to see what they look like darren..even the beverage cooler needs a box to move around.. as for the sewer and water i would do it soon before you get other things in there.. look over the placement of that closely so it can work for your company and your other interest as much as possible

Aint it funny how we never seem to have enough. When we got say 1000 dollars all the things we want to buy are $1200. So we get a shop after having a single car garage and its pretty stressful now cause other interests start to rear their head and pretty soon what was a big space is now small.;):rofl::rofl: We have a lottery over here in Canada well last week it was $50 million. I ask a friend of mines young daughter (21) what she would like to do if she had to win the 50 Million.

Well she said looking at a picture of an enormous yatch (not the kind with sails almost a liner) she would like one of those. So we asked her how you gonna keep it running. This thing had a full time crew of i dunno 20 or more people. Funny how soon it was not enough.:rofl:

There is a bunch of tough choices there Darren. I have turned over one about 5 times when i saw you mention the insulation and then the partitioning. Part of me would insulate the whole thing heck and partition it. I like Larrys suggestion of partitioning the car area but undoubtably you will end up heating the workshop area. However with winter and a potential need to work on cars, I would want to be able to open the partition in such a way (simple door) to be able to share the heat when needed and not loose a ton.

I would also go the water etc route as a first step. Then concrete second primarily because it would put the whole area on the map for consideration since they would be on an even footing. Also that would make cleaning in that area way easier.

With a single pad for the whole area and 12 ft height i would think of using my partitioning such that i get a degree of mezzanine storage in above certain parts of the layout and you need to think of that when you do the partitioning wall if its gonna carry load and face the right direction for a load bearing platform. Something like that would make for wood storage out of the rain besides other "stuff" we all hord.

Another pro to insulating it is having storage that is non freezing in winter.

Remember how quickly these places get small so start off as if you were in Stus dungeon cause very quickly it will feel like it. :D

There is a saying that goes "a task expands to the time available"

so does a shop "expand to the space available" ;)

I would still stick with all the space saving ideas we see guys with small shops do. Mainly because you still want to be able to move around and move projects you make around.

What a nice journey. Will follow along .....:thumb:

Here's one idea, may change the bathroom layout a bit and put the door way to it in the office space, since that will be the area that will be heated 24/7 in the winter months to keep water lines warm (at least above freezing). The line across the rear garage door isn't a wall, just the edge of where the concrete ends right now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• shoplayout1.jpg
    shoplayout1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,859
so you are looking at only one vehicle under cover darren? and how wide is the second over head door? depending on what you wanting to do woodworking wize i think you may want your welding areas walled off from the wood area.. dust and grit doesnt go well with finishing..

Probably will only be parking my truck in the shop. Will be the first garage my wife has had since she met me that doesn't look like a garage sale is going on every day. I wouldn't be surprised if she painted it and put up curtains. :D

Insulating the shop will have to be done first. I need to figure out how much the blow in insulation will weigh and determine if the trusses will support a light gauge metal lining and the cellulose insulation above it.

I believe that they are spaced 5' on center and are 32' long, which is much closer than my BIL's shop, but he also has 2X6 trusses vs. the 2X4's that I have. I think I'll be ok, but will do the math before going down that path.

shopInside2.jpg

Oh, I think the second door is 12' in width

If it was me, I would move the office and woodshop to the back graveled area. Build a wood floor above the gravel and have a partition between that area and the rest of the garage. Now you have a nice wooden floor to work on. Also, I would punch in windows for that area and a new door or two. You could still partition the office from the woodshop in that area.

from what i can see darren i think the trusses are on 4ft ctrs the back looks like the side and its 32 right, so that means 8ft between, also another clue is the purlins are flat not on edge.. as for the insulation i have seen it in the attics before and the steel sheet liner held it fine but if you ran some cross ties between your trusses you would be better.

another thing that i think could be changed is the overhead on the side. if you dont need a over head then change it out with a double service door, that can be opened to 6ft wide.. the door sticking out in the middle of the space like that and hanging by the frame work just looks wrong.. maybe a coil type door to eliminate the thing in your way..

Biy its amazing how quickly a place becomes small.:D

Those are real good resources you found there Darren thanks for sharing them.

I think Bill has a real good idea with the wooden floor.

Remember you have a chance to deal with these things upfront and as we all get older that wooden floor is way easier on the body.

I have one in my shop over the concrete and i can tell you its a real pleasure.

Trouble i see here is when one gets going this place with its size quickly adds up in dollars with reno costs.

Making me realize something i did not before and that is finding a property with a nice huge shed is only half the battle. I should have remembered it with mine how much it cost to put the basic shell up versus all the finishing inside. Drywall, insulation, electrical ( in your case you have a panel but i guess there will still be additional outlets required. ) in my case i put in a gas line too for heating. Way cheaper than electicity.

All i can suggest is step by step. I will never again say this is it and its the final layout.:rofl:

Fun stuff contemplating all the options though.

Good suggestions guys. I hadn't thought of a wood floor for the wood shop, something to consider.

Those doors have bothered me a bit. I was thinking I'd probably replace the front one with a 10' high door. I think the same style of tracks for the other door could get rid of the low hanging for the other door.

You're correct about the back wall Larry, but I just went back and looked at the pics again, and I'm pretty sure the sides are 10' between poles. The front side of the side garage door is about center of the building on the outside pics. The truss in that area across the ceiling is at the third section, so I think they are 10' since the building is 60' long. So those are most likely 5' apart.

How about a spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof? You could keep your attic for storage. That is what most are doing around here.

I read that on another forum as a suggestion, sounded like it would be about 4 times as expensive from what other posters said. Those were older posts, so maybe costs have come down, will have to compare and see.

Something to look it to. The price has came down around here, as more people have started using it. I wouldn't do the walls, it you cover over it you would never be able to pull any new wires.

Hopefully next week I'll have some breathing room in the shop. I've got about a 15 X 20 area in the back that is covered with boxes for the kitchen, home decor, and Xmas decorations. All of it is moving to the house this next weekend. I've been slowly going through boxes to inventory what I have (been a year in storage). I've got a few shelves and a couple of cabinets, but nothing with drawers, so trying to figure out what I need to build storage wise to accommodate everything (Allen and Glenn gave me some inspiration this week :thumb:).

I got the front half of the building sealed up today, it was windy tonight and really could tell a difference. Great Stuff sure is ugly, but it works great.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also got the CNC Router re-assembled. Need to pickup a new monitor for the computer, but just about ready to do some signs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Previous owner had some fishing rod racks mounted on the walls. Decided they would make good clamp racks.
attachment.php

I guess I need to get some more clamps though to fill them up. :huh:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20101120_205605.jpg
    IMG_20101120_205605.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20101120_215903.jpg
    IMG_20101120_215903.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20101120_205851.jpg
    IMG_20101120_205851.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20101120_205916.jpg
    IMG_20101120_205916.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_20101120_220015.jpg
    IMG_20101120_220015.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20101120_215959.jpg
    IMG_20101120_215959.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 382
Cool biz, Darren. :thumb: I'll bet you're really looking forward to getting a shop set back up. If you were closer to me, I'd give you one of the three or four spare CRT monitors I have laying around. Not ideal for the CNC machine, but hey...free is free. :D