Darren's Shop

Darren, it's looking good. Did you put a srew up from the bottom on the articulating lamp? I have a lamp just like that. I bought it at a garage sale for .25 cents. I want to use it over my lathe but it also needs to be mounted like that.

No, It's the shiny screw just above the block in the pic below. It was just a quick fix as I needed something to keep it from pulling up out of the cleat. If I had made the holder a little taller than the wall cleat, then I could use the double headed nails like Glenn uses that pin the block in without making more screw holes.

Edit: I think you meant into the bottom of the lamp, but no to that as well, just a 1 1/4" deep 1/2" hole, gravity holds it pretty well.

attachment.php

Got the rest of the circuits re-wired in the shop today. Switches for the lights are no longer behind the door when you walk in. Separated all the grounds from neutrals in the breaker box and ran lines for additional outdoor motion lights. The separation of grounds/neutrals was noticed in my internet connection from the shop. Every time the heater kicked on in the office, I was loosing my internet connection. Since I'm using a powerline device to get internet to the shop from the house, the "noise" from the heater was making the connection flaky, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Also seems to have improved connection speed overall.

Question, Darren. How did you separate the neutrals from the grounds? Could we see a photo?

Carol. I didn't catch a photo when I had it opened up. Here is one I found of a subpanel. The ground bar is on the left with all bare copper wires running to it and one silver/aluminum wire towards the top. There are two neutral bars on each side of the breakers, they only ran the white neutral wires to the one on the right.

Tallpanel.jpg

For machinery and such, having them combined won't affect them. However you can get feedback through the grounds that can mess with electronics some, mostly disrupting signals and quality of service due to ground loops.

OK. It is I had envisioned it. Thank's for the photo confirmation. It is not an issue in this shop but could well be for the next one.

Last edited:
Today I decided to tackle the south west wall and finish up getting it skinned.

Here are the pics from this morning before I started.
IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

Got the mouse blocking, insulation, and plastic vapor barrier up this morning. Ran to the blue borg for osb and started putting it up about 4:00, got this far by 6:30 (dinner time)
IMAG0714.jpg

In my rush, I had one little mistake, well two, but I have the large plate covers that took care of the other (which was on the same sheet). :D
IMAG0715.jpg

And the semi-finished results. The door is getting raised and replaced this spring, so holding off on that piece and still have some wiring to finish before closing up around the panel.
IMAG0716.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Darren, what size door are you thinking of? Way back when, we put a 12'hx10'w on my dad's and while it was a good improvement, we could of gone a little wider, which would of eased putting the boat or trailer to one side or the other.

Won't be long now before the wife will have to come out once in a while to remember what you look like :D:thumb:

Thanks Ken.

I was actually referring to the entry door, but if the finances allow, I may replace the garage door too. It's currently a 7' x 16', but I'd rather have a 8' x 16' that the track goes to the ceiling and a side mounted opener. I'd like to put a lift in for working on the cars, so having the tracks up out of the way would be nice. Current door isn't insulated either, so that's another reason, though I can cut foam board for it.

Thanks Ken.

I was actually referring to the entry door, but if the finances allow, I may replace the garage door too. It's currently a 7' x 16', but I'd rather have a 8' x 16' that the track goes to the ceiling and a side mounted opener. I'd like to put a lift in for working on the cars, so having the tracks up out of the way would be nice. Current door isn't insulated either, so that's another reason, though I can cut foam board for it.

Well if you are going to buy a new one hang on as I just ordered one and almost fell over at the price and then found out that I had already talked to the cheapest guy. Man them doors are expensive

Well if you are going to buy a new one hang on as I just ordered one and almost fell over at the price and then found out that I had already talked to the cheapest guy. Man them doors are expensive

Yup, my SIL works for the company that owns and manufactures for the Over Head Door Co...she gets a pretty good discount. ;) Still out of the budget right now, but if the funds become available, I'll be upgrading.

Important update...not as important as the beverage container will be, but has been cold enough out there I haven't needed one yet. I put some of that photo paper to use that Tom Niemi gave out a while back...Thanks again Tom!

IMAG0721.jpg IMAG0722.jpg IMAG0723.jpg IMAG0724.jpg

Ok now you need high security alarm system. I am on my way to KC to get that paint book. You been holding out on us not declaring your cowboy ways eh?;):thumb: Cool signs. Now i think of it my shop really could do with some wall decorations. Not wall much space left in my office.

Very cool signs there Darren. Excellent use of that paper.

Rob, I found that sign at the local Re-Store for $5 about 2 years ago. A local Steak house had done a remodel and they had donated probably 200 different cowboy pictures/posters, not to mention cowboy/farm items laying around for sale. I had called my sister, she has a log cabin and it was right up her alley too. Will definitely keep you in mind if I come across another gold mine like that again.

Spent the last couple of nights doing some clean-up and getting things out of boxes that I haven't seen in about 2.5 years now, found my shop aprons and welding shirt finally! Put some leg extensions on one of our folding tables to use for a temp bench for now.
IMAG0735.jpg

Also got my mats put down in front of the main bench.
IMAG0734.jpg

Here's some close-ups of the upper signs I put up the other night.
IMAG0726.jpg IMAG0725.jpg

Also got all the windows cleaned inside and out and opening again, man were they stuck. :doh:

I was cleaning up behind the office and found enough materials to start my outfeed table/bench yesterday. I cut the dado's on the radial arm and chiseled them out, then assembled each side using 3" screws.
IMAG0797.jpg IMAG0798.jpg

I used a 3/4" plywood for the top, which will have 1/4" hardboard over it and a hardwood edge.
IMAG0799.jpg

The stretcher is temporary, didn't have enough material to finish framing for the lower shelf, but it will be tall enough to store some of my rubbermaid tubs that I store hardware and fasteners in.
IMAG0800.jpg

Also temporarily installed the Bessey vice I've had for a while.
IMAG0801.jpg

Last edited:
I had an outfeed table once. Problem is that it always ended up stacked with "stuff". Enough, that I was constantly clearing it in order to run the table saw. Now I just use a roller stand that I move in place when needed. Good luck with yours!:)