Darren's Shop

Another visit from brown today, got a delivery of some more gates and connectors, also t-slot tracks for the DP table.
2014-10-16 20.01.18.jpg2014-10-16 20.01.27.jpg

I moved the gates from above the ending wyes to below on each branch, so now each branch of the wyes have their own gates now.
2014-10-16 21.03.49.jpg

Here's the RAS, I'm thinking of doing a box behind the blade with an angled back to deflect the dust downward, currently it hits the back of the shroud hard enough to bounce a lot of chips out to the floor in front still.
2014-10-16 21.04.09.jpg2014-10-16 21.16.43.jpg2014-10-16 21.16.57.jpg

I can't say it enough, don't wait to put in dust collection, just another example of a mess I didn't have to clean up.

Typically using my biscuit joiner is about as messy as running a router for me, either the port clogs and chips are flying out the front or at least half don't make it into the bag. Tried the DC on it tonight cutting about 80 slots and not one chip was found on the bench or floor from it.

2014-11-09 20.05.07.jpg 2014-11-09 20.05.16.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone ever tells you should hang a 120# tv 11' off the floor...ignore them...but can't ignore my inner self...

2015-09-15 21.56.51.jpg 2015-09-15 22.21.05.jpg

This was our old plasma tv that went out a few months back after about 10 years of use, I did a little troubleshooting and found the problem board, which was a $20 replacement. My wife had me go get a replacement tv already...so what's a guy to do. ;)

I have a HD antenna to mount just on the other side of the wall, we get about 28 channels around here over the air. I'm also using a Chromecast device for watching youtube and streaming music. I'll drop a sound output down to my shop receiver. I have the wall wart speakers from my old house mounted around the shop for surround sound.

I have to admit, I was about defeated trying to get this sucker up by myself. I took it up once and the pulleys on the block/tackle were touching and I still had 12" to go. I let it back down and moved the mounting plate down about 8" then muscled it up the other 4". I'll probably drop my dust collection down a few inches to give some clearance and probably wrap it with a ground wire to prevent any static build up that may mess with the tv.

My arms are still jello from moving this thing around. At least it's off the shop floor and I can move some stuff around again.

Hmmm...along with asking for directions, asking for help seems to be a problem for the male species. Good, Job, Darren, but the risk to hurting yourself deserved some respect. We like you here.

Looks good Darren:thumb:...Need to find an old flat panel tv to get going in my shop too! Football already started and basketball season is just around the corner!

Between needing to shuffle things to make room for the new lumber hauler and buying a new CMS (https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-c12r...d-miter-saw-w-laser-marker-reconditioned.html). I'm back to re-arranging the shop a little.

Anyone have their CMS next to their Radial arm like shown? Just wondering how it's working out. The two will share the same fence for what I have in mind and can remove the cms to do longer stock if needed on the workbench.

The Shop 6.jpg

I'd have gotten a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS), and gotten rid of the Radial Arm Saw (RAS) completely.

I did that about 20 years ago, and I've never missed the RAS. Rips are done on the tablesaw (or the bandsaw). The SCMS can handle 12" cross-cuts, and I seldom need more than that, unless I'm doing something with plywood. The sled I have for the TS will handle cross-cuts up to about 24", so really, no problem.

I tried that arrangement once. But the head of the radial arm was a nuisance. Not sure if I would do it again.

Due to the front knob/handle being too low? I mostly use the CMS for angled cuts and the RAS for straight ones. As mentioned, if the piece is too big, I'll probably just move the CMS to the workbench.

I would get that big blue or black thing out of my shop. That would be the first thing. What the heck is that thing in there for anyway?

Then, I would rearrange the shop to best work in it.

Well, unfortunately we get hail storms from time to time and I hate scraping ice in the winter months, so it's in my sketchup to organize around it. ;)

I'd have gotten a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS), and gotten rid of the Radial Arm Saw (RAS) completely.

I did that about 20 years ago, and I've never missed the RAS. Rips are done on the tablesaw (or the bandsaw). The SCMS can handle 12" cross-cuts, and I seldom need more than that, unless I'm doing something with plywood. The sled I have for the TS will handle cross-cuts up to about 24", so really, no problem.

If space was an issue I'd probably and have done the same in the past. The RAS is actually my dad's. I've got it along with his table saw, which I've setup for dedicated use with the ibox jig. I've got some shelving projects coming up and the RAS actually works really well for cutting shelf dados. The new CMS has depth stop, but not sure a dado stack can go on it, I think it's got a 1" arbor too. If my nephew ever gets his garage built, I'll see if he wants the two, but until then they need to be worked into my space.

Clearance was definitely an issue. And mine were separated by about 4', not next to each other was in your drawing. And I too have it dedicated for shelf dadoes. Another concern I would've in moving the SCMS out for larger cutes and then getting everything l lined back up with the common fence. I think I would put it on locking wheels and when the dedicated need arose, simply haul it out and use it. Then return it to it storage spot.

I started installing some of the old kitchen cabinets into the shop this evening. I think I've got homes for at least 3/4ths of the cabinets, may use the face frames and doors for some new configurations.
2019-01-06 15.10.26.jpg 2019-01-06 15.44.24.jpg

This area has been a 6' folding table sitting on 4 pieces of 12" pvc pipe for a few years for a bench, I think this should be a nice upgrade. The base cabinet on the left was about 2" too long for the floor, but I"m actually planning to raise the door and fill in the drop in the entry anyway with concrete to level it with the rest of the floor. Can't tell you how many times I've almost twisted an ankle walking past that area.
2019-01-06 17.18.05.jpg