Darren's Shop

Darren i would say you dun great. That spray foam is clever stuff. Good idea there Alan and Glenn. Now at least you out of the draft and dust that can get blown in.:thumb:

Oh i wish you had not shown that CNC machine.:rofl: I get baited every time i see one of those. Its definitely on my to do list.

Hey did you ever do a post on building that? I know you have sown the seeds in my head in the past of the issue on how much use one of these gets after you done with the building one of them fever, but it aint stopped the fever.:rofl::rofl: I am itching to do one. I suspect though i will not be happy with the results. I would really love to have a shopbot to play with.:D

Hey did you ever do a post on building that? I know you have sown the seeds in my head in the past of the issue on how much use one of these gets after you done with the building one of them fever, but it aint stopped the fever.:rofl::rofl: I am itching to do one. I suspect though i will not be happy with the results. I would really love to have a shopbot to play with.:D

I built the Jgro version in the link below, but they've made some improvements to it since the version I did.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewcategory&cid=2

I did have a build log, but it's been long enough that it's been archived or purged. However they do have a bunch of DIY logs going on that site that you can follow along with. It's really not a hard machine to build, so should give it a try. I think with motors, controller and materials it came in around $300, but will have to still get software to run and design with.

Well things have slowed down a bit and I've had time to consider some options for the interim to make things work better than they do now, which is mostly working out of boxes on the floor.

I have a couple of constraints as far as layout goes. Two large garage doors to start with. The main one on the front will be used for parking and automotive work. It's 16' wide and centered on the front of the building. This leaves about 7' on each side of it. I was wanting an office on one side as well as a place to sit and visit. Looks like it would be wide enough for the office part, but not so much for having a sitting area, so I nixed it for now. The office space will be heated by electric or a oil filled heater. The ceiling above will be a loft for storage.

The side garage door is a bit overkill (16'), Don't really need anything larger than an 8', so it will eventually be replaced with an 8' or a set of swinging doors. The tracks just take up too much space and that extra 8' would really make the shop part flow better or make for a better office area down the road. However I've partitioned around it for now and left some floor space for welding projects.

Since the first 40' of the shop has concrete floors, I'm trying to use as much of it as I can for shop. The gravel area will store lawn stuff, the trailer, and the majority of my wood materials (on racks)

I have to leave some clearance around the wood stove, so not much has been placed around it.

I've allowed for a finishing room next to the stove area, making sure the entrance was away from the stove. It will have proper ventilation and a non-flame heat source. I may also use this room for the CNC Router as it's noisy and usually is set to run which I can walk away from it for a while to let it do it's thing.

Anywhoo, this is what I've decided that I can do for now and what I think will work for me. I'm planning to put in a metal ceiling with cellulose insulation above it, then the walls can be put up.

I haven't added much in the way of cabinets yet, but these will be place around the DP and Miter Saw areas.

Thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• The Shop 2.JPG
    The Shop 2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 350
  • The Shop 3.JPG
    The Shop 3.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 349
  • The Shop 4.JPG
    The Shop 4.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 349
  • The Shop 5.JPG
    The Shop 5.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 350
Here's another option with the office moved to the middle that I think I like a bit better. Also move the mechanics tools closer to the front of the vehicle and closer to my other tools.

attachment.php

Also moved the wood rack in the shop to keep the wood in a more controlled environment.
attachment.php

Attachments

• The Shop 3 a.jpg
    The Shop 3 a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 291
  • The Shop 3 b.jpg
    The Shop 3 b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 286
I like the new layout, Darren. :thumb: Now if you'd just move that SUV outside where cars are supposed to live, you'd have plenty of room for a lathe. :p

I uploaded it here Don. :wave:

Don't plan to have the truck parked out there unless I need to work on it or the main garage is as full as it is now with xmas junk, just allocating space for that in the mock-ups. ;)

p.s. The rectangle on the wall next to the entry door represents the electrical panel.

Do you really have a rack with 5 cordless drills? :rofl:

I downloaded the model too. Need to swipe a few of your components for something I'm working on....

Darren just an off the wall question, (i went back and looked at the building again). Is there no way you can use the space above the trusses.

What i mean by that is this. In my shop instead of using blown in insulation and a ceiling, i put my insulation R22 roxul between the top trusses and then covered it with the usual poly for a vapor barrier and then sheetrock. What this did in my case was give me a cathedral type of ceiling and i could use the space. Now when i look at the height of the building and i think of all that space being lost but still insulated lower down i am wondering??? Because when i see you partitioning the place then i am thinking mezzanine storage could be placed above some of the partitioned areas and you know what its like we always after storage even for houshold Christmas lights and other "stuff".

If you insulate at roof height then that mezzanine storage space could be heated as part of the shop.

I know you have to consider loads and you have to cater for the snow loads but could you not do a little reinforcing like lapping of the trusses in places to cater for the additional load if any.

I placed that polystyrene sheet that goes against the roof and keeps air flowing from the sofit thru to the vents before i put the insulation in.

Dunno just thinking aloud when i see how quickly the space gets gobbled up for various uses.

Dang i guess its never enough. The layout tool is cool. I dont have particular preferences related to your current layout but i do think moving the office space makes a big difference.

Does seem to me that the back end where the gravel is, is getting a disproportionate share of the overall building size for what it is going to be used for and the amount of time in each year. I mean grass does not get cut in winter right. So a huge chunck of garden stuff gets a huge chunck of the shop space because of gravel for only what 8 months of the year.;)

Do you really have a rack with 5 cordless drills? :rofl:

I wish, I plan to buy at least another 18 volt, an impact driver, and a small twist type driver. I was just finding models from the 3d warehouse that looked like what I had in mind, the drill rack was a bonus. :D

Darren just an off the wall question, (i went back and looked at the building again). Is there no way you can use the space above the trusses.

What i mean by that is this. In my shop instead of using blown in insulation and a ceiling, i put my insulation R22 roxul between the top trusses and then covered it with the usual poly for a vapor barrier and then sheetrock. What this did in my case was give me a cathedral type of ceiling and i could use the space. Now when i look at the height of the building and i think of all that space being lost but still insulated lower down i am wondering??? Because when i see you partitioning the place then i am thinking mezzanine storage could be placed above some of the partitioned areas and you know what its like we always after storage even for houshold Christmas lights and other "stuff".

If you insulate at roof height then that mezzanine storage space could be heated as part of the shop.

I know you have to consider loads and you have to cater for the snow loads but could you not do a little reinforcing like lapping of the trusses in places to cater for the additional load if any.

I placed that polystyrene sheet that goes against the roof and keeps air flowing from the sofit thru to the vents before i put the insulation in.

Dunno just thinking aloud when i see how quickly the space gets gobbled up for various uses.

Dang i guess its never enough. The layout tool is cool. I dont have particular preferences related to your current layout but i do think moving the office space makes a big difference.

Does seem to me that the back end where the gravel is, is getting a disproportionate share of the overall building size for what it is going to be used for and the amount of time in each year. I mean grass does not get cut in winter right. So a huge chunck of garden stuff gets a huge chunck of the shop space because of gravel for only what 8 months of the year.;)

Something to consider as far as using batts up higher. I'm actually making the ceilings above the office and finish room 8', so will have some storage above them. The roof is a 4/12 pitch, so I'm only loosing a couple of feet in the middle part of the building for upper storage space.

Also these plans are for the immediate use (for a few years). I'll have about $1500 to spend on steel, insulation, and other materials after the first of the year, so I'm only planning to cover about 2/3's of the ceiling, finishing out what walls are there, and building the new rooms and partitions. I do plan to either do concrete or a wood floor in that back area, it's just not in the budget for a while. :wave:

Don't plan to have the truck parked out there unless I need to work on it or the main garage is as full as it is now with xmas junk, just allocating space for that in the mock-ups. ;)

Okay I went digging and found the post where you put up a photo of the house.

So if I understand correctly, you don't plan to park in the shop. you plan to park in the house garage? Or is the house garage for your wife's car and you'll mostly park outside?

I have a basement shop myself, and I really like the fact that my shop and my vehicle NEVER share the same space. I see all kinds of magazine articles and forum postings of people who share the shop with a vehicle and it always seems a bad thing. They either need to contort everything to move out of the way, or they deal with rust and moisture, or just a big inconvenience.

So that is my question. Are you or aren't you planning on putting your vehicle inside?

I know that we all want bigger shops, but really, Darren, that is a huge building. If it were mine, I would really try to come up with an arrangement that kept the wood shop totally and permanently separate from any outdoor vehicles or such gear.

Which brings us to Bill's comment:

If it was me, I would move the office and woodshop to the back graveled area. Build a wood floor above the gravel and have a partition between that area and the rest of the garage. Now you have a nice wooden floor to work on. Also, I would punch in windows for that area and a new door or two. You could still partition the office from the woodshop in that area.

I'm with Bill. Partition off the front for a garage and/or auto-work shop and/or snowblower (ATV, Skidoo, motorcycle, boat, tractor, rototiller or whatever you got...) storage.

Partition the back for your wood shop. Wood floor optional. Windows not optional. ;) No wet drippy salty rust-inducing-in-cast-iron things allowed. :p

How high are your trusses? Note that instead of spraying foam directly on the roof, you could lay something over the trusses and then spray foam inbetween the trusses. This would give you the total sealing of foam, but with less square footage than needed for spraying the roof. Yes, this means the attic is unconditioned, but do you really need to condition that space?

Have fun! Take Pictures! :thumb:

I like the new layout, Darren. :thumb: Now if you'd just move that SUV outside where cars are supposed to live, you'd have plenty of room for a lathe. :p

True! I would love to have a METAL lathe and a Mill at some point. ;):D:rofl:

Okay I went digging and found the post where you put up a photo of the house.

So if I understand correctly, you don't plan to park in the shop. you plan to park in the house garage? Or is the house garage for your wife's car and you'll mostly park outside?

So that is my question. Are you or aren't you planning on putting your vehicle inside?

I will be sharing the shop with the truck for now as the garage isn't organized yet and we're waiting on spring for a garage sale/clean-out. I also don't have the budget to finish the back 20' of concrete or the entire ceiling right now nor probably for the next few years. So trying to make a combined shop work for now. I do my best to keep things clean and picked up, which always worked in my dad's shop. He always had the cars and wood tools sharing the same space. Don't get me wrong, would love to separate them, but not going to happen anytime soon. :wave:

I did move the welder to the back half to use part of the concrete there for those projects and keep the grit out of the wood shop. Eventually I do want to get that metal lathe and mill. Those will definitely be separated from the wood shop and everything else...possibly in their own small shop away from this one.

Well, haven't gotten as far as I'd like to have this year, but got a lot of blessings and still have a roof over my head.

This week I gave up on fixing the Tahoe. It had 211k miles on it, a cracked head, needed a radiator. I tore it down hoping it was just a gasket and could get a couple of thousand out of it to finish out the shop. Well, sold it for a few hundred yesterday for parts...got enough projects on my plate and need to at least get some of those done...I'm happy with what I got for it and that is all that matters.

So, what did I do with that few hundred dollars? Some tires for my wife's car, but a couple hundred went to the shop...yup...gloat time. Picked up a few studs, some insulation, and osb.
attachment.php

Will be starting in this corner, which I had my "Holmes" moment a few months ago in and ripped everything back down to bare bones.
attachment.php

Previous owner put up a couple of "yard" lights that were mounted on the walls of the shop. I decided to removed them, switched off the light switch and cut the wires and got a lovely spark that ruined my good wire cutters. Turned out the previous owner switched the neutral, not the hot wire. With this re-assurance that the previous owner had no knowledge of "electriks" (as Frank would say), I got a new panel for the shop and its the beginning of new circuits everywhere. I had contemplated just getting new breakers, but the fact that code now separates the ground and neutrals and the cost of new breakers, I was coming out ahead getting the new panel for $65 that came with 6-20 amp breakers..
attachment.php

attachment.php

I've also acquired a 8' X 9' garage door from my brother-in-law. I'm planning to replace the 16' side garage door with the new one. Part of that opening I'm planning to add another entry/egress door to the shop, which will lead into the future office, giving a little more shop space.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally, the part that only costs sweat and time, removing the old storage room in the back of the shop, which is serving little purpose, but can re-use some of the wood for finishing out my outer walls to insulate.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 268
  • The Shop 4.jpg
    The Shop 4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 270
Cool to see you moving ahead. Just in time for winter coming up.:)

Is that the new panel all mounted? Wish i could let go of things like you did your Tahoe. Good for you.:thumb:

Here's one idea, may change the b?athroom layout a bit and put the door way to it in the office space, since that will be the area that will be heated 24/7 in the winter months to keep water lines warm (at least above freezing). The line across the rear garage door isn't a wall, just the edge of where the concrete ends right now.

If you can put all your water lines on an inside wall. What about zoned in floor heating?

I decided to remove them, switched off the light switch and cut the wires and got a lovely spark that ruined my good wire cutters. Turned out the previous owner switched the neutral, not the hot wire. With this re-assurance that the previous owner had no knowledge of "electriks" (as Frank would say), I got a new panel for the shop and its the beginning of new circuits everywhere. I had contemplated just getting new breakers, but the fact that code now separates the ground and neutrals...

Wow. This kind of thing happens to me all the time. I *still* haven't figured out all the quirks of the previous owner's wiring... :huh:

But what's this about new code changes? Did I miss something, or was your panel just really old? :dunno:

Wish I had that kind of room! :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill