Darren's Shop

:thumb: Kinda figure it won't hurt. Spray foam should hold the steel wool in place.

I looked at some, but what I found was a lot thinner than rat shields I've seen. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'll probably go with the steel wool and spray foam for now. It's starting to get down in the 30's at night, so need to get moving on putting the walls back together. There's a 2X6 going around the base of the shop, so I'll just fill in about half way down, then it won't interfere with rat shield installation when I come across some.

That's a big building. Do you think you'll be able to block all the areas of ingress for the rodents? Darn persistent critters they are...

That's a big building. Do you think you'll be able to block all the areas of ingress for the rodents? Darn persistent critters they are...

Probably not out of the building itself, but going to try and keep them from getting inside the walls and insulation. I know it doesn't take much of a hole for them to get in, so might not be possible. I probably took about 3 shovel fulls of droppings and acorns from one section by the window, they've called it home for quite a while.

Will also add blocking behind the poles between the horizontal girts to keep them from passing from one section to the next. If they get inside one section right now, the have full access the the rest of the sections all the way around the shop.

The type of rat can also make a difference. We have some huge pack rats that live around here that just LOVE to fill up empty spaces with 'stuff' they find.

Engine compartments, open areas of the house, etc... I found one nest up on the hillside behind the house made out of rocks and sticks and other vegetation that must be at least 2.5 feet high...

I made some progress on the shop today with getting new circuits ran for the south wall and the office.
attachment.php

The coils on each side will be pulled into the adjoining walls of my office.
attachment.php

I finally ran out of a 250' roll of wire I bought several year ago for $22 at the orange borg. I went to pickup another 100', which I figured would be plenty for what I had left to do. They were asking $49 for 100' of 12/2 w/ground :eek:, it was out on the shelf, but the guy started to get the roll off the upper shelf and mentioned the 250' roll was only $67. :huh: Same manufacture, not sure why the low price difference. :dunno:

Tonight I picked up the lumber for building the office. Going to insulate two sections of the south wall tomorrow and get OSB put up, then start framing out the office.

Attachments

• IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 195
I went to pickup another 100', which I figured would be plenty for what I had left to do. They were asking $49 for 100' of 12/2 w/ground :eek:, it was out on the shelf, but the guy started to get the roll off the upper shelf and mentioned the 250' roll was only $67. :huh: Same manufacture, not sure why the low price difference. :dunno:

Quantity discount? With Copper prices the way they are, you'd think it had to be a mistake!

Been playing with the House Builder plug-in in Sketchup. Works well for a general layout and getting approximate stud counts. I added a couple of extras for the stud blocks in the corners and above and below the door header, not going to try and piece in 3" tall cripples above the header. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• shopoffice.jpg
    shopoffice.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 192
The difference in wire prices sounds about right. I've found that the price per foot is considerably less on the longer rolls. I suppose cutting and packaging the shorter lengths takes more manufacturing time.

Ike

First look at your office sketch-up, I thought the header was simulating a 42" wide screen monitor :doh::rofl:

I think I'd turn that L desk around to the door side...I have to many smart-alack friends and family who love sneaking up on folks...

Don't know about your location, but that insulation should probably be going up in a hurry :thumb:

Enjoying the ride along, Thanks!

Been a real busy day today, didn't get a pic of the insulation on the lower half of the wall, but here's the moisture barrier going up.
attachment.php

OSB hung, yeah, I know got the rough side out, got in a hurry, but made it easier screwing off with the layout lines too.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I ran out of 2x4 studs, still have trimmers to put in under the door header and finish the double plate on top, then I'll get the ceiling joists up.
attachment.php

Taking some ibuprofen and going to bed...:wave:

Attachments

• IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG0399.jpg
    IMAG0399.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Got a few hours in the shop tonight and put up the ceiling joists over the office, drilled holes for electrical, and nailed on a "few" boxes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a pretty uneven spot on the floor where the air hose is sitting, it dips down about 3/4". Luckily I have some left over laminate from another project that I can use after filling that area with some self leveling floor compound.
attachment.php

May pickup some insulation and drywall on Friday, waiting to see what kind of sales are going on.

Attachments

• IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 184
Now that looks like fun... :thumb:

Oh, I can't wait, been nice building something for myself that I'm not thinking about resell, just something I want. All the posts on the cleat systems have been driving me nuts as I haven't had finished walls to do any on, may even do some in the office area.

My wife is looking forward to getting me out of her office...though she's not letting me take the TV that I use for my monitor...guess I'll have to suffer and go a new tv for the office. ;)

Looking good wont be long now. ;) Hey Darren is it standard for you guys to use black plastic as vapor barrier? Dont know why but i thought it had to be clear.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Typically I would have used clear,but had this on hand. Only difference I know of is when its used in a crawl space, it helps prevent plant growth when sunlight gets in. Cost may be cheaper too, but as I said, already had this.

Darren