Darren's Shop

This office is getting so fancy soon we will have to call you Sir and make an appointment to enter the office. Guess you gonna have tradesman entrance for us normal types. :)

Ah, trust me, you'll want to come past the cute little receptionist...

attachment.php

She's tough, but she can be swayed with a bacon strip pretty easily. ;)

This thread reminds me of a time in our life when we got to play house. Glenn and his wife got my wife to help them look for an apartment to live in. Myrna was apalled by the rental fees and the poor quality of what was available.

So Glenn and his wife and Myrna went house looking. They found this beautiful 1920's house in a very pleasant, quiet part of town. I went to look at it with them. There was a rental in the back to help pay for the place. We did not want to disturb the tenant in the rental---Ah Ha, the plot thickens. We purchased the place and charged the kids low apartment price rent.

However---Here it comes. The front house was in beautiful shape with shiny oak floors, etc. The back house was the total opposite. It was a disaster. We started removing the yucky old wall paper. We found out that there were twenty layers of older yucky wallpaper under that.

OK, so we remove the wallpaper to find out that the walls were in bad shape. That is when Myrna learned how to hang drywall, tape and mud it. I had a good excuse, I want you to know. I was at the office earning money for our daily bread, etc. Therefore I could not be at the house drywalling (or is that drywailing?).

I don't know how parents survive raising children. It's a good thing that the kids grew up to be assets to the world to make up for some of the trials and tribulations of their rearing.

Enjoy,

JimB

Bob thats just what i was thinking. But then it would become an executive office and nothing at all would get done.:D I bet that receptionist can take your ankles out in a quick nip, quiet the gatekeeper.

Fridge is on the xmas list, so will see if my wife picks one up for me or not. The TV is coming, but may be in the spring as I need to run cabling from the house.

Got the door installed on the office yesterday. We're replacing the door panels in the house, so my wife donated the one from her office as she never closes the door anyway. still need a thresh hold/transition piece for the edge of the flooring under the door.

attachment.php

The inside view,
attachment.php

I found some left-over garage door weather stripping in a box. I screwed a piece of popular over the top edge into the door to create a sweep. It was about 45* in the shop yesterday, and about 65* in the office. The space heater stopped running for about 15-20 minute intervals finally (which is running on the lowest setting). Still need some more weather stripping around the door jamb, but staying much warmer in the office now. I stopped in there this morning before leaving for work and was still 65* (35* outside) and space heater was not running (still on the lowest setting).
attachment.php

I also got a USB extension cabled fished up to the deck above the office for a web cam(s) watching the doors of the shop. I'm testing out the iSpy Connect software, which will alert you when it sees changes or movement in the images. My camera quality is too low and not picking up the changes very well, so will need to upgrade the web cam as it's pretty old.

Attachments

• IMAG0503.jpg
    IMAG0503.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG0504.jpg
    IMAG0504.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0505.jpg
    IMAG0505.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 208
Good looking door, kudos to the donor :D:thumb:

Hey Darren {or anyone for that matter}...how long of an USB extension can you get? I have an old cam that would be great to set-up, to see my driveway approach from the shop...Hmmm, it's about a 35' run, maybe I'll have to see about wireless & a new camera...but great idea/use!!!

Thanks Darren, saved me some seaching :thumb:... that'll work! :thumb: One of the reviewers wrote, suggesting using a powered 'port' to help offset any power loss, possibly due to length of the run...just so happens to be one of those collecting dust here as well...Ohhhh Santaaaaaaa :D

edit: & cat 5 here too :wave:

I've got a couple of USB Extenders. They seem to work just fine.

One other thing to think about is getting a wireless IP camera. Makes placement of the camera a lot simpler than running a usb cable. Some of them have built in movement detection.

I've got a couple of USB Extenders. They seem to work just fine.

One other thing to think about is getting a wireless IP camera. Makes placement of the camera a lot simpler than running a usb cable. Some of them have built in movement detection.

Thanks and ;)'Gee Thanks' Brent...I did a little looking around and see tilt & pan, audio, anywhere access, night vision etc etc...decisions decisions :huh::D
The dogs are great alerters, but they've slacked up since the wood stove's been fired up :rofl:
Thanks again guys, some great help as usual!!! Sorry for the hi-jack Darren.

Spent some time the last couple of days picking up the shop and re-organizing. Today I got some slats put up above the work bench.
IMAG0523.jpg

Got a perch built for the drill and it's charger.
IMAG0524.jpg

The pencil sharpener found a home.
IMAG0525.jpg

Made a mount for the articulating lamp, did have to screw it down though.
IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

Still in the middle of clean-up, but getting there...
Panorama 1.jpg

well be careful cleaning out the shop darren i seem to have lost a 12volt drill in my cleaning spree:) looked all over for it and its gone... so just a warning dont over do it on the cleaning:)

I've enjoyed this most immensely and got some inspiration in the process. Thanks Darren.

I read most of the thread but I don't think I saw anything on dust collecting. I supposed I missed it cos I tend to look at the pretty pictures more than read.

Are you planning any sort of dust collecting Darren?

I've enjoyed this most immensely and got some inspiration in the process. Thanks Darren.

I read most of the thread but I don't think I saw anything on dust collecting. I supposed I missed it cos I tend to look at the pretty pictures more than read.

Are you planning any sort of dust collecting Darren?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Julio, I am planning on picking up the HF 2 hp collector and it will be placed on the storage side of the shop behind the office. I sold my 1 hp DC with my planer a while back as I had another planer and the DC wasn't very efficient and lacked suction. I've been using my shop vac and a canister respirator since, but the DC is high on the wish list.

Darren, it's looking good. Did you put a srew up from the bottom on the articulating lamp? I have a lamp just like that. I bought it at a garage sale for .25 cents. I want to use it over my lathe but it also needs to be mounted like that.