what can I make of this?

Ned Bulken

airfilteraa.jpg

With the closing of my masonic lodge building, I got an unexpected boon. I had mentioned that I was looking for an air handler from a furnace one night after lodge. One of the trustees remembered that I had said that, and when they were cleaning out the building, this was unearthed.

airfilterm.jpg

And set aside for me.

motorplate.jpg

1/3 hp in dire need of a good cleaning on the air handler side.

Everything turns... but no cord, so this is a project in the making...

obviously, I'm going to make this into a shop built air cleaner...

labelc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the guts of a swamp cooler. Only works in hot dry climates though...

Should make a nice air cleaner! :thumb:

"Wind":rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had a couple of those in my production shop when it was running and they can a great shop fan but have a very narrow area. Make a vent to spread out the wind.

Also I have seen them used to make sanding tables with dust control

Jay

My thoughts exactly. It'd make an room air cleaner, although it's probably a bit oversized for your current shop, it might be useful in the next one.

cool wet and rainy won't wash, eh? ;)

Maybe open a car wash :dunno::dunno: That looks like it would blow the tops off a few convertibles :rofl::rofl:

I'll have to see if I can put a drive through in the shop...

"Wind":rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had a couple of those in my production shop when it was running and they can a great shop fan but have a very narrow area. Make a vent to spread out the wind.

Also I have seen them used to make sanding tables with dust control

Jay

Jay, I'll settle for puling air through some air filters like Darren suggested

Box it up separating the suction side from the blowing side, add some cheap air filters and use it for a dust collector.
That's the plan, build a box around it.
My thoughts exactly. It'd make an room air cleaner, although it's probably a bit oversized for your current shop, it might be useful in the next one.
after I took the photos, I put it out in the shop... you're right it is a bit oversize, but hey, free is free!

Hi Ned,

My local machine shop has one like that in a special opening he made high on the opposite wall from the garage door opening. Here in south Florida we get a little warm and muggy, but with the fan PULLING air into the shop and exhausting the high hot stuff out the back it helps a lot!

Also, SAE 20 is NOT the same as SAE20W. You need to use the correct non-detergent lubricating oil for the bearings or you will have a problem sooner rather than later!

Last edited:
Hi Ned,

If you blow the hot air outside do you need filters at that point?

As to weight, I would want to take the motor off the fan assemble any way to replace that cord and for cleaning up both. That will cut the weight of the smaller heavier motor down considerably and then you just have the size of the fan to wrestle with.

I live out in the country & have 3 of these old furnace fans. When I want to quickly clean out my shop, all the stuff the dust collector doesn't get etc. I set them up across the width of the big garage door at one end of the shop. I put on a good dust mask, turn on the fans, fire up the big compressor and start blowing from one end and work my way to the fans. It takes about 15 minutes to blow out a 1400' shop, walls, floor,shelves, tools etc. The driveway looks a little like a snowstorm hit it but its gone into the gravel in a day or two. I know this wouldn't work in the city especially with neighbors who use a clothes line.

I used one that looked like that (except it was a little cleaner :D) when I made a down draft sanding table. If you are interested, PM me with your email address and I will send you some pictures.