Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the cross - Installation complete

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Building the cross - Installation complete

Now most would say that it is not really rocket science to build a cross but there can be challenges involved. The cross is for the church commission I am doing. Since it is a Roman Catholic church it will have a figure of Jesus crucified on it. The term to re-fering to it is a crucifix. The figure of Jesus (called a corpus) they bought from Italy for some big $$$ is 5 feet tall and has sat in a box in my shop for several months. I showed it to the guys on the tour when they were here. It is 5 feet tall and I am told that the cross should be 2x the height of the corpus so the cross should be 10 feet tall. The horizontal part should be 1/2 the height or 5 feet. Now we all kn ow that if you buy a piece of rough hardwood 10 feet long some of it will be un-usable so I need to use a piece 12 feet long. The thickness I want is 8/4 and and looking at the corpus I want 8 inches finished so I scoure all of Arizona and cannot find a single stick on 8/44 12 feet long and 10 inches wide so what to do.
    So I decide that I can do it using 1/2 lap joints on the back of the cross. It will be against the wall and no one will see it.

Here is some raw lumber

Here is the top part and cross piece milled to fit and

here is how it will fit together.

The joints will be further reinforced since I am putting a French cleat accross the back to hang it to the wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1639.JPG   IMG_1640.JPG   IMG_1641.JPG   IMG_1642.JPG  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-10-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Part of the challenge presented to me on this project is how the cross will be mounted to the wall and how to mount the corpus to the cross. The mounting to the wall was simple once I got the attention of the General contactor. The second part was mine to solve. The corpus came from Italy with a metal strap across the small of the back. The metal is a little over 1/8 thick.

I designed a bracket they will allow me to simply hang it up once the cross install is complete.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1634.JPG   IMG_1643.JPG  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

you know you guys can post and offer a better suggestion if ya want to.

only one thing i can think of don, don't forget the placard that reads INRI at the top. it's latin shorthand for Iesus Nazareum Rex Iudaeorum (translated: Jesus (there's no J in latin, they used an I) the Nazarene King of the Jews).
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Your right Dan,
    It was also in the carte with the corpus. The "nail" is tapered so I figer I'll drill a hole centering the indictment (sp) and epoxy it in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1644.JPG   IMG_1645.JPG  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-07-2010 at 08:04 PM.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Faith, Hope & Charity

Hi Don,

A couple of questions and a comment since you asked.

I don't quite get how your bracket will connect to the bracket on the back of the body.

How are the lap joints to be held together? Of course, glue, but could you consider draw bored dowels, too?

As to the french cleat for hangiing the entire crucifix to the wall. I would assume you are talking about a substantial wood timber that would carry the weight. How are the current and future generations that will be near the crucifix know that it can be easily removed from the wall, whether intentionally or by accident?

I know I am more than a little persnickety in my old age but please consider some of what I have asked.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

looks like your almost done with this job don so whats next???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!