Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: naptha?

naptha?

i was able to get a gt in woodcraft but treied to get a gallon in depot or lowes and no dice??? any clue as to why and where i can get a gallon, i was told it works better for seeing glue residue and dries better than alcohol. also works better in finish for quicker drying.. any and all comments welcome
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm not 100% sure but I believe naptha is cigarette lighter fuel. Which is the same stuff as coleman lantern fuel.
    Coleman fuel is about $3.00 a gallon. Last time I bought it for my lighter anyway
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Naptha is what we used to call white gas. It is used in coleman stoves so should be easy enough to find in a sporting goods store or a hardware store. Home Depot seems to be eliminating any products that require any kind of common sense to use. I tried to get some muriatic acid a while ago and was told they don't sell it any more as it's dangerous stuff. Geez the acid in your stomach is as strong as muriatic.

A side note about naptha is something an old painter told me. He used it as a thinner for oil based paints. He said that it didn't break down the paint like thinners did and when it dried the solids in the paint were the same as before the thinning. Pretty flammable stuff though.

You should be able to find it at any good paint store, like Sherwin Williams.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

am i being told the straight about it showing glue residue better and also using it as thinner for finishes? or am i playing with disaster?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

My local hardware carries it in pints, quarts and gallons.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Never used it to find glue, but I do use it for wet sanding shellac finishes, and as a thinner for oil based paints and varnishes.

It evaporates much faster than just about anything but acetone, and it's quite flammable. I get mine at Hartville Home Center, or at my Sherwin Williams store.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

It does evaporate real fast and has the lighter fluid smell until it dries. Just check the price per gallon between what you get at the hardware store and the Coleman fuel you can get at Walmart.
    I remember that we used to call it white gas when we were kids
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Some folks stock it as VM&P (varnish maker & painter's naphtha). I have breezed past it in the big box stores before.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Some folks stock it as VM&P (varnish maker & painter's naphtha). I have breezed past it in the big box stores before.
    ..and it's a lot more than coleman fuel,too!!!
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.