naptha?

larry merlau

i was able to get a gt in woodcraft but treied to get a gallon in depot or lowes and no dice??? any clue as to why and where i can get a gallon, i was told it works better for seeing glue residue and dries better than alcohol. also works better in finish for quicker drying.. any and all comments welcome

I'm not 100% sure but I believe naptha is cigarette lighter fuel. Which is the same stuff as coleman lantern fuel.
Coleman fuel is about $3.00 a gallon. Last time I bought it for my lighter anyway :D

Naptha is what we used to call white gas. It is used in coleman stoves so should be easy enough to find in a sporting goods store or a hardware store. Home Depot seems to be eliminating any products that require any kind of common sense to use. I tried to get some muriatic acid a while ago and was told they don't sell it any more as it's dangerous stuff. Geez the acid in your stomach is as strong as muriatic.

A side note about naptha is something an old painter told me. He used it as a thinner for oil based paints. He said that it didn't break down the paint like thinners did and when it dried the solids in the paint were the same as before the thinning. Pretty flammable stuff though.

Never used it to find glue, but I do use it for wet sanding shellac finishes, and as a thinner for oil based paints and varnishes.

It evaporates much faster than just about anything but acetone, and it's quite flammable. I get mine at Hartville Home Center, or at my Sherwin Williams store.

It does evaporate real fast and has the lighter fluid smell until it dries. Just check the price per gallon between what you get at the hardware store and the Coleman fuel you can get at Walmart.
I remember that we used to call it white gas when we were kids :)

Some folks stock it as VM&P (varnish maker & painter's naphtha). I have breezed past it in the big box stores before.

Why not just use accetone? I'v been using it for years.Works great for me.

up in our parts ken you sometimes need to sign a sheet and give info in order to get it, if they carry it..we have to many using it for manufacture of other products that arent legal..i dont need the law knocking on my door in the middle of the night because i purchased 2 gals of the stuff..we have had 3 homes blow up in the last 2 years in the close proximity..business must be booming:rolleyes:

I've used naphtha for years in place of mineral spirits. I like it because it seems to dry faster. I use it in a variety of ways: 1/1 with BLO for an oil rub, 1/1/1 with BLO/Poly for hand-rubbed finish, any other way I can. I've had no problem getting gallons at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I've used naphtha for years in place of mineral spirits. I like it because it seems to dry faster. I use it in a variety of ways: 1/1 with BLO for an oil rub, 1/1/1 with BLO/Poly for hand-rubbed finish, any other way I can. I've had no problem getting gallons at Lowe's or Home Depot.

whats it labeled as bill? got picture of the can?

i was able to get a gt in woodcraft but treied to get a gallon in depot or lowes and no dice??? any clue as to why and where i can get a gallon, i was told it works better for seeing glue residue and dries better than alcohol. also works better in finish for quicker drying.. any and all comments welcome

I buy Naptha at Lowe's and Wal-mart all the time... I'm surprised they don't have it at Lowe's.... it's paint thinner.

I were looking for something at Lowe's and noticed that the price of Kerosene are over 8 dollars a gallon and were wondering what it sells for at gas stations