Changing the design in mid stream

Dan Mosley

Started out to make one design and had to change when I was roughing it down and saw where the voids were.

Picture #1 - showing the point I stopped and took it off the lathe and reversed it so the voids would not be that close to bottom.

Picture #2 & 3- showing the turning part complete - hollowed to about 1/8" - sanded to 400 - then wet sanded with DO and 500 and 600 grit......Now inside drying...Im thinking about 2 more coats of DO over a couple days - let dry for a week and buff with WD and hand rub in a coat of Renaissance.......
Thoughts ?................

Picture 4 - turned and hollowed to about 1/8" also.....and sanded thru 500.........then put in MS/BLO/Varnish pale for 2 days........now sitting inside to dry

Picture 5 - is a pc of the same Ironwood that was bland.....sanded to 220.....used some analine dye orange and yellow.....sanded lightly with 320 and then submerged in a pale of MS/BLO/Varnish for 2 days.....now out and drying inside............Thoughts ?

Attachments

• Beginning.jpg
    Beginning.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 51
  • Vessel-2.jpg
    Vessel-2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Vessel-3.jpg
    Vessel-3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Vessel-1.jpg
    Vessel-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 55
  • Vessel-4.jpg
    Vessel-4.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
5 has to be my favorite...even though I can't do that stuff:(...yet!! Beautiful work Dan...something to aspire to :thumb::thumb: Cam you pass on how you did the dye? Amount and which on first and then what?

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your comments.............hard part is I still struggle with the finish work and to get that perfect shine......

Jim -everything was done with the pc on the lathe..... I sanded to 220 - then applied black analine dye with a very small folded cloth to the whole turning and wiped down with a damp cloth right after applying.......I then let it dry for 30min or so.......then sanded back down really well with 320 - blowing off with compressed air frequently and looking at it .....when I was satisfied with the sanding ...... I applied ruby red analine dye to the whole turning - wiped down again with a wet rag lightly and let dry again for 30min or so.....then sanded again with 320 and blowing off frequently.... and then sand in reverse with 400 (lightly)........I then applied yellow analine dye - 1 to 2 coats and do not sand.........let dry now and your done with the dying...............
I wish I could take full credit for this but a semi well known turner named John Jordon taught me this and I just modified the technique slightly but the colors are all his idea......................Let me know if anything was not clear.................good luck ...........on bland wood this adds a whole new demension to things and youll find it fun................Dan

Last edited: