Any one here ever had a Bunny Chow

Rob Keeble

So Dan posted his sons hand in the bread and it reminded me of something i had not thought about in I dunno 38 years.:eek:

We had a local meal I guess is the best I could do to describe it.

Called a Bunny Chow. It was sold at the "greasy spoon" if that means something to you.

Take half a loaf of fresh white bread, take your hand and remove in one scoop of your hand the soft center. Then fill the loaf with curry stew and put scooped out bit back on top.

After a night out on the town this was breakfast hangover food when i was much younger.:D

You use your hands and eat the center portion first then start on the half loaf and the rest of the curry. Wash it down with a pint of milk.

bunny-chow-foodinsouthafrica.jpg

Brent you gotta try this sometime. I tried your turtles.:D Just wait for winter.;)

P.S> Picture shows beans but that aint quiet right, it was usually potatoes and meat, either mutton, or chicken pieces chopped up with bones. Poor mans food. Wrapped in paper like fish and chips.

Around here (and particularly in San Francisco), you can find places serving hollowed-out sourdough loaves filled with clam chowder. Sort of similar, but with different bread and fillings than you had in South Africa.

clamChowderCannonball.jpg

More pics

I don't know about bunny chow but I do know about "smart pills"

One day long ago my dad and I were walking in the woods. when. I looked down on the forest floor and saw dozens of small black round pellets. I asked my Dad what they were and he picked one up and announced that they were "smart pills". I popped one in my mouth and with a disgusted look on my face said, oh my gosh Dad they taste like rabbit crap:eek: He looked at me and said, See you're getting smarter already :rofl::rofl:

the local greasy spoon here call that a meal in a bowl and you eat the BOWL

Our local diner has the sourdough bowl with Idaho baked potato soup. I can hear my arteries harden every time I eat it!:thumb:

I've had chili in bread bowls before. Always like the way the bread soaks up the 'extry' flavor.... :thumb: :thumb:

Around here (and particularly in San Francisco), you can find places serving hollowed-out sourdough loaves filled with clam chowder. Sort of similar, but with different bread and fillings than you had in South Africa.

clamChowderCannonball.jpg

More pics

That brought back a pleasant memory... right after LOML and I married I had to take a business trip to SF... the boss was gracious enough to allow me to take her along. She hadn't been there in 40 years... we made it to place on the Wharf that sold clam chowder in the bread bowls.... I'm not a fan of clam chowder, but that was good and my wife enjoyed that meal more than the night we went to Aliota's across from the wharf...

So Dan posted his sons hand in the bread and it reminded me of something i had not thought about in I dunno 38 years.:eek:

We had a local meal I guess is the best I could do to describe it.

Called a Bunny Chow. It was sold at the "greasy spoon" if that means something to you.

Take half a loaf of fresh white bread, take your hand and remove in one scoop of your hand the soft center. Then fill the loaf with curry stew and put scooped out bit back on top.

After a night out on the town this was breakfast hangover food when i was much younger.:D

You use your hands and eat the center portion first then start on the half loaf and the rest of the curry. Wash it down with a pint of milk.

View attachment 47880

Brent you gotta try this sometime. I tried your turtles.:D Just wait for winter.;)

P.S> Picture shows beans but that aint quiet right, it was usually potatoes and meat, either mutton, or chicken pieces chopped up with bones. Poor mans food. Wrapped in paper like fish and chips.

Rob,
Bunny chow sounds good... I like curried foods, but don't think I could handle it after a night of drinking... hangovers usually lasted a day or so with me and always bothered the stomach more than the head... I don't do hangovers any more after attending a wedding about 2 weeks before my first... we drank champagne from 11 am until well past 3 am... I was sick for 3 days and made arrangements with the man above if he would let me live, I'd never do it again... we've stuck to our agreement.:D

Vaughn that chowder dish in the bread is really great. I have had it a few times.;)

Larry this curry stew was made up the Indians that came to SA way back for the sugar cane industry. But i can see Irish stew doing just as well.

Bob I got caught with something like that when i first came to Canada. The trick played on me was much nicer though. It was called moose droppings on the box, and the contents were chocolate coated almonds.:D

Dom I can just imagine that potatoe soup. MMMMMMM.

Chuck its interesting what you say, cause the last time i had this i was in the Military and we had been shipped down from the bush to visit the army dentist. So the night before in typical army style (we were only 18) we hit the pubs in this port city, next morning we all had one of these while sitting on the beach and then off to the dentist. With hindsight i feel sorry for the dentist. :rofl::rofl:

Chuck its interesting what you say, cause the last time i had this i was in the Military and we had been shipped down from the bush to visit the army dentist. So the night before in typical army style (we were only 18) we hit the pubs in this port city, next morning we all had one of these while sitting on the beach and then off to the dentist. With hindsight i feel sorry for the dentist. :rofl::rofl:

That's why when I was in the military, you showed up at the dentist with your toothbrush... they usually made you brush before they would work on you.

On that note, because I was a share cropper's kid, we didn't get to see the dentist growing up and I had to have quite a bit of work done when I went into the Navy... while stationed on Guam, I had to have a root canal done... I was in the chair, the dentist shot my mouth full of Novocaine (which usually hurt more than the dental work), then was called away to the phone....when he returned, he grabbed his drill and started, then commented... that was my wife on the phone... we just had twins... I don't know who should have been more nervous - me or him.:dunno::rofl::rofl:

That's why when I was in the military, you showed up at the dentist with your toothbrush... they usually made you brush before they would work on you.

On that note, because I was a share cropper's kid, we didn't get to see the dentist growing up and I had to have quite a bit of work done when I went into the Navy... while stationed on Guam, I had to have a root canal done... I was in the chair, the dentist shot my mouth full of Novocaine (which usually hurt more than the dental work), then was called away to the phone....when he returned, he grabbed his drill and started, then commented... that was my wife on the phone... we just had twins... I don't know who should have been more nervous - me or him.:dunno::rofl::rofl:

the Novocaine hurt me so much that when I had the last of my teeth pull at the dentist's [16 teeth ]the novocaine was wearing off by the time that he pull number 12-I took the pain instead of getting more Novo.---the shot hurt a lot more than having the teeth pull

Vaughn that ait right. Now I'm hungery and going to leave. Time to go home and eat. I love them hollowed-out sourdough loaves filled with clam chowder. I would get them for lunch all the time when I was in school out there. Maybe with a side of rabbit. But you had to know what rabbit was like [ which I did ] because the SPCA was next door. LOL