Thread: Some encouragement for dovetailers...

Some encouragement for dovetailers...

Cleaning my shop I found a bag of my dovetail practice pieces, as you can see there are about a hundred of them. Some where thrown away and others are missing.

I used to make one of those, sometimes 2 or 3 as a warm up exercise before carrying on with whatever project I was working on, until one day something made "click" in my mind and they started to be good.

As Brent Dowell and some others are onto dovetailing lately I though about posting these to encourage all those who think that dovetails are too difficult for them. The good thing about those practice pieces is that as they are not going to be used anywhere it takes away the tension of wanting them to come out good which I think it helps a lot to relax and get them better.

As you can see some are really bad, some are so-so and some are better, so it is only a matter of practice and perseverance.

ENJOY!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dovetails01.jpg   dovetails03.jpg   dovetails04.jpg   dovetails05.jpg   dovetails06.jpg  

dovetails07.jpg   dovetails08.jpg   dovetails09.jpg   dovetails10.jpg   dovetails11.jpg  

Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, what clicked, IMHO is muscle memory, your muscles finally learned the dovetail trick and you were away to the races

Great collection of fire wood
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

goes to show how much perseverance one has to do something that requires skill and alot of practice to get it right..now show us the dresser toni
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    g..now show us the dresser toni
    I'm afraid not yet, Larry, I hope, wish, desire to have it finished in late September.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I'm afraid not yet, Larry, I hope, wish, desire to have it finished in late September.
    Just like fine wine, good things take time, so until late September.................................

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Just like fine wine, good things take time, so until late September.................................
    Thanks Tom, you do really understand me
    Best regards,
    Toni

Very cool Toni. Really hits home that it's an acquired skill that you have to practice, practice, practice on...

Thanks for sharing those!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks for the pictures Toni. You sure got a bunch of discipline. You so right about not trying to make them when they "have to turn out right" for that special project on the go.

I am reminded of that every time i go up and down our strairs. Few years ago had to make a medal cabinet in day and half. Whats more with my Dad sitting behind me watching every move. Oh boy talk about pressure on the dovetails. Now i got these gaping holes, off square door and i dont know what else in this cabinet. Its on the redo list for someday.
    cheers

Great stuff Toni. Thanks for the pics and the dates on the pieces make it fun to judge differences. I read an article by a guy who did "a dovetail a day" for 30 days. It was fun to look at the progress.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Larry said it first, you are a very perservering guy. No wonder your end results are so beautiful.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire