Thread: Siding repairs

Siding repairs

My brother, sister & BIL, and I helped my nephew replace some siding and trim on his new house yesterday. Still need to do a couple of pieces over the garage as we ran short due to having more rot than we expected.

I didn't get any before shots for the front as my brother and nephew tore all most of it off the night before, but here is an example of what we were taking off.

The back and sides still need to be done, but mostly appears to be rot in the trim, unlike the front which had it in both trim and siding. The shot above was trim that was over a section that had flashing, so we're not sure why they put the trim on in the first place.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

looks like T-111 siding in the vertical areas, but cant tell what the horizontal stuff is.. t-111 is notorious for rot darren..just doesnt hold up well. if cost wasnt a factor i would go with the cement board type siding for longer life. or vinyl for quick and maintenance free. the only time i saw a trim board like that was when it was transition between two different types or directions and there usually was an offset with flashing to make the water shed, not soak in.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The front siding is a pressed hard board. Unfortunately my nephew doesn't make a lot of money, so we pretty much stuck with repairing using like materials, but did use clear spruce for the trim instead of the OSB stuff they used prior.

We'll see what we get into on the vertical siding, mostly looks like trim rot, but we'll see in a week or two.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

use good paint darren and have him stay on top of it regular with more coats as needed.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!