Thread: Family Woodworking Hand cut dovetail challenge anyone?

Family Woodworking Hand cut dovetail challenge anyone?

Seeing Tonis post on Handcut Dovetails put a thought in my head for a little fun and competition hopefully sucking a few spinny guys in too if they read the neader threads.

Anyone feel like we do a handcut dovetail thread where those that enter undertake to do a hand set of dovetails lets say at least once a week for a month.

Rules i suggest would be

1) Each time you do them you post a pic in the thread and date them as Toni did.
    2) Then members participants comment and at the end of the period we select, you choose your best effort and put it forward in a poll vote by the members for the handcut dovetail champ.
    3) Winner gets to be the Family Woodworking Champion 2010 Handcut Dovetail Champion. Dont know about a prize yet? Any suggestions.

When Chuck put forward his spinny snowman competition we all had to ship the snowmen to the winner. I cannot see this being of value with a odd set of handcut dovetails. So open to suggestion.

Any takers interested??

No fancy wood needed. Any offcuts will do. Wood will not count in the judging only the joints. Of course you can do more than one per "say week" and only put your best foot forward for the week.

So how about it?

Open to all members, even spinny guys Larry.
    cheers

I'd be up for that, sounds like fun and good practice, I'm sure I can find time to bang out one corner of dovetails here and there
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Bump, dont look like too many takers Stu.
    cheers

It sounds like a fun idea, but I my plate is full until winter on "noise reduction" projects. If I can get my unfinished house improvements completed, then the noise from across the table should subside. Heaven forbid, if I should be caught making practice dovetails! They don't make noise canceling earmuffs that could allow me to survive that blast.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

and wood does enter in rob, the harder woods are more difficult to make good joints in with the chisels.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hey Rob, third time ever hand cut dovetails. Maple and poplar about 3/4" x 5" Need more practice for sure!
    Victor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image58.resized.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    It sounds like a fun idea, but I my plate is full until winter on "noise reduction" projects. If I can get my unfinished house improvements completed, then the noise from across the table should subside. Heaven forbid, if I should be caught making practice dovetails! They don't make noise canceling earmuffs that could allow me to survive that blast.
    I thought this was a brave post.