string trimmer/weed whacker woes

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Just smoked the trimmer. Shaft got so hot, the head assembly melted. It was a John Deere branded Homelite model.

Made in 1999 - no replacement parts.

Reviews indicate the newer Homelites no longer John Deere and most reviewer used the initials POS associated with the new ones.

Home Depot choices offer Echo, Black and Decker, and Ryobi. There is also a Sears in town. Other resort is on-line or a 200 mile round trip to Phoenix.

So---new trimmer. Would like to stay under $100. Gas or electric - don't care. Less than a half acre here. Has to be done maybe twice a year.

Also the lighter in weight the better. Bad back, you know.

And the collective trust suggests....???

you can buy weed eaters with wheels, but am not sure of the price

There was a similar thread on this a while back. I'll repeat what I said then.
When we bought our current house I bought a new Weed Eater brand trimmer. It lasted two seasons and quit. When I tried to get repairs no one would work on it. Fiddling around myself I found a little label that said this was a 50 hour unit. In other words designed to die after 50 hours use.
I decided to spend the dollars and get a real trimmer and bought a new Stihl. It is running beautifully after five seasons use.
I also have a 35 year old heavy duty Stihl I used considerably on the farm to cut heavy weeds and small trees. With the right blade, it will go through a 4" tree in seconds. It also runs beautifully.
My advice? Don't screw around with big box store El Junkos. It just isn't worth the aggravation and, in long run, extra cost.

...My advice? Don't screw around with big box store El Junkos. It just isn't worth the aggravation and, in long run, extra cost.
Ditto this. I went through two big box string trimmers before I bought an Echo from my local chainsaw shop. (I'm a big Stihl fan, but the Echo machine was a bit lighter weight and had a longer warranty.) It's a notch below their full-blown pro models, but big steps ahead of the ones sold at the borgs. With my other trimmers, I used to spend as long monkeying around getting the machine to work as I did actually trimming weeds. With the Echo, I fuel it, start it, and cut. No drama involved. :)

Like chainsaws, the string trimmer companies have different model lines for the big box stores than they do for the pro shops. In many cases, replacement parts and service the big box machines are not readily available, making them disposable tools. Had I bought the Echo to begin with, I'd have saved some money over the long run. And a lot of frustration. ;)

I was about to bite the bullet on a Stihl gas line trimmer when I came across the Stihl electric line trimmer.

Stihl FSE60

For incidental use and not having to deal with gas it works well. A lot better then the borg electrics.

I have a Ryobi from Lowe's that's going on about 10 years... still runs strong. I was having a little trouble starting it, until I figured out that I was using the gas mixture for my chain saw which is different from what the Ryobi takes... changed gas and it runs great again.... but while I was having trouble, my son brought me a Troy-bilt that doesn't use an oil/gas mixture... it runs on straight gas, and has an oil tank to lubricate...it's a little slower to start, but runs strong as well.

...I decided to spend the dollars and get a real trimmer and bought a new Stihl. It is running beautifully after five seasons use.
I also have a 35 year old heavy duty Stihl I used considerably on the farm to cut heavy weeds and small trees. With the right blade, it will go through a 4" tree in seconds. It also runs beautifully.
My advice? Don't screw around with big box store El Junkos. It just isn't worth the aggravation and, in long run, extra cost.

Much as I hate to agree with Ole Frank, :D:D:D He's right on with the advice.

My six year old Stihl has never even burped, and it still starts on the third pull (a Stihl idiosyncracy). My Stihl chainsaw, although not used a lot, is the same. It's never quit on me.

My cheapo Homelite leafe blower failed halfway through the second season. The Stihl that replaced it (The biggest backpack blower they make) puts out more wind at idle than the homelite did at full throttle, and has been rock-solid reliable.

Bite the bullet; spend the bucks; get a Stihl. It'll likely be the last one you'll need.

BTW, a lot of the commercial guys here use Echo, too, but not the comsumer (read Home Depot) models. The better Echos are also pricey.

This is over the price range for you Carol, but I wanted a 4 cycle to get away from the oil mix and resultant smoke. I wanted the Stihl, right up until my wife said it better start the first or second pull every time, or you get to do the weed eating. I hate weed eating. So one day in Lowe's, I see the Troy Built, knowing it won't last forever, that has an outboard electric start. It was a free instant rebate on that weekend. Brought Glenna back to look at it to make sure it wasn't too heavy. It's borderline on weight, but I rigged up the shoulder strap from the old McCulloch and she said it works fine. It is a breeze to start!
It does sound like an electric would fit your needs best. (We have a acre with lots of brush outside the fence down to the creek. Wouldn't even try it with an electric.) Just remember to factor in a decent electrical cord if you don't already have 1 or 3 that will work! Jim.

Larry, you remember my neighbor. She's 85. :D

Dan, I liked your suggestion the best, but that model is proving hard to find and one site said it was discontinued, but the Stihl home site didn't mention that. Interestingly, other web stores said the manufacturer only allowed in store pick-up.

Vaughn, got a model number?

Stihl only allows new sales through authorized dealers. So if you have a bum dealer in your area you are out of luck. My local lawnmower shop has royal diplicks running it and I go out of my way not to give them my money.

...Vaughn, got a model number?

Carol, it's the SRM 230S...

Echo SRM 230S - 02 800.jpg Echo SRM 230S - 01 800.jpg

BTW, I believe the "S" part after the number is a California designation. The dealer threw in a good padded shoulder strap. I think it's a Stihl.

Dan's right about being at the mercy of the dealer. Fortunately, the one closest to me has done me well. I bought my chainsaw from them, and their recommendations have been spot on.

Hmm...I just looked on the Home Depot site and it looks like they're selling models above and below mine. I'd be curious to see if they are priced the same. On a second look, though, the model numbers have slightly different letter designations. :huh:

No head scratching on that one, Vaughn. Like Costco, Home Depot has enough clout to have manufacturers build to their price point. The consumer is left to twist in the wind.

When I taught woodworking and we talked about tools, I made the observation that the manufacturer's agenda was to make a product that would sell. The vendor's agenda was to sell the product. The consumer's agenda is to use the product. Notice how consumers are outnumbered two to one?

Buyer beware is well founded.

As to a dealer, if I want a quality product I am going to have to drive 200 miles. Uggghhh! As if I had the time. :doh:

I still like the idea of an electric. No gas. No oil. Quieter. It is lighter than the gas models.
And I have 12 gauge extensions cords to go around the house three times. Property is not that big.

It is next to impossible to get someone to do yard work around here. I had a guy that promised to come today to do my yard and my 85 year old neighbor's.. He didn't even call and my neighbor and I are still waiting. She works at the local food bank and has guys there who are complaining they can't find work, but when offered some cash for manual labor, they can't be bothered. World is really screwed up.

I did find that a local (sort of) vendor handles Stihl. I am going in tomorrow and find out if they will order one for me.

I am an Electric guy, I find the gas powered to be too aggressive and chop everything. can't finesse like with an electric. Of late, I am using GrassHog B&D Battery powered. :thumb:

In the past 7 or 8 years I have bought 2 electric Toros from home depot. They were on sale for around $50. They worked just fine for the light use I give them. When they kick the bucket I toss them and get another cheapie.

I have a big Stihl to use around the farm and house. My wife has the same B&D grass hog as Bill at the beauty shop. Cordless, works great, unless you let the weeds get away from you.

This is what I use on our farm, I go around the fence lines generally twice a year as well as all the buildings about every third mowing. Have used this thing HARD for over ten years. Had a cheap version from Sears, still is in the shed, it wrapped tall weeds on the shaft, didn't move left or right, didn't rotate to use as an edger, I got what I didn't pay for!

http://www.swisherinc.com/trim_max.asp

Here is the standard model, less frills (doesn't rotate).

http://www.swisherinc.com/trim_n_mow.asp

More than your price range, but it is a four cycle engine (no mixing of gas and oil, seperate tanks for each). Uses a very heavy string (almost as thick as a regular pencil). Rolls easily, it will be the last one you ever buy. Handier than a pair of gloves. Your pants won't have the caked grass on them. Still wear safety glasses, but a lot less trash covering you. This is my suggestion. You won't wear this out.

Another vote for the B&D 18 volt cordless Grass Hog. My dad has had one for 5 years or more. Mine is 3 years old, Never a minutes trouble with either one. Love the cordless feature.:thumb::thumb: I would not hesitate to get another one when the times comes.

I have the same model trimmer as Vaughn. Bought mine at Homedepot about 5 years ago and never had a lick of trouble from it. Loml uses it all the time since she cuts yards around the nieghborhood. I think someone would have to pony up some real proof about echo making a different model for different stores. I typed my number in on the echo website and up popped my trimmer.