Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Pickers

American Pickers

Do any of you watch American Pickers on the history channel. On tonights episode the antique pickers were at a place where the guy collected woodworking tools. There were probably more than a thousand hand planes on the walls. What I want to know is where these collectors get the money to buy so many tools.

I am watching it right now and that wall of hand planes

It boggles my mind how long and how much money would be spent to collect all of those.

What was funny was her comment, "he didn't know how to use them, but sure liked collecting them". I remember as a kid, those old hand planes were worth nothing. It is all in the timing. Like now, who is collecting all of those out of date computers or cell phones??? Don't think they won't be worth something in twenty years?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My BIL called me about the episode. Said there was a ton of them. Did the pickers, pick any?

tape it tom so i can watch it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Steve, nope, she made her husband a promise not to sell his tool collection. She did sell them an old cast iron frame for a table saw they are going to build a table from. She lives in an old factory building. Beautiful building from the outside and I think they said four floors, part of one floor is the home.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Part of me can understand a guy that can admire tools. I have it in me but controll it.

We dont get the show up here. But my thought is there are people out there that for some unknown reason to me "the art philistine" will pay a small fortune for someone who has splattered paint on a piece of canvas and wrapped a frame around it.

When you exmine the process that a tool goes through to be created and all the craftsman involved in the making of it, I think you end up with a thing of beauty and work of art which has a use and in most cases for a long time.

Take a spinny pen, Vaughns bowls, or any other project (kitchen cuppboards, hoosier cabinet, chairs etc or

Glenns new planer .....Those are works of art to me.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    cheers

I record it to watch on time slots where only garbage rules. We watched it last night. And, yes, the tool collection was amazing. I wuz thinking of the guys here who obsess over the old planes. Y'all wooda gone nutz.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Didn't see it last night but maybe it will be on later in the week. Great show
    Faith, Hope & Charity