American Pickers

Dave Black

Do any of you watch American Pickers on the history channel. On tonights episode the antique pickers were at a place where the guy collected woodworking tools. There were probably more than a thousand hand planes on the walls. What I want to know is where these collectors get the money to buy so many tools.

What was funny was her comment, "he didn't know how to use them, but sure liked collecting them". I remember as a kid, those old hand planes were worth nothing. It is all in the timing. Like now, who is collecting all of those out of date computers or cell phones??? Don't think they won't be worth something in twenty years?

Steve, nope, she made her husband a promise not to sell his tool collection. She did sell them an old cast iron frame for a table saw they are going to build a table from. She lives in an old factory building. Beautiful building from the outside and I think they said four floors, part of one floor is the home.

Part of me can understand a guy that can admire tools. I have it in me but controll it.

We dont get the show up here. But my thought is there are people out there that for some unknown reason to me "the art philistine" will pay a small fortune for someone who has splattered paint on a piece of canvas and wrapped a frame around it.

When you exmine the process that a tool goes through to be created and all the craftsman involved in the making of it, I think you end up with a thing of beauty and work of art which has a use and in most cases for a long time.

Take a spinny pen, Vaughns bowls, or any other project (kitchen cuppboards, hoosier cabinet, chairs etc or

Glenns new planer .....Those are works of art to me.:):thumb:

Last edited:
I record it to watch on time slots where only garbage rules. We watched it last night. And, yes, the tool collection was amazing. I wuz thinking of the guys here who obsess over the old planes. Y'all wooda gone nutz.

would love to be able to go threw some sheds like those guys do,, and the variety of knowledge they must have to know what is good and what isnt..

I think it is just experience and knowing their market of who will buy what. Some of the junk they pick I would trash knowing it wouldn't sell in my area. In fact, I have trashed a lot of 'stuff' that might be saleable, as, I am sure, most of us have.
Watching the show, I find it amazing how many antiques and collectibles have survived so many years.

yeah like thqt old toy car,, many went tot eh scrap heap to be melted but that one survived,, and those old signs and clocks will sell to the right person those that arent sufferun from this non depression..and lots of dollars free to do as they want with..