Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Follow Up on Robs Idea

Follow Up on Robs Idea

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=19689

Rob,

I found the smallest tied flies I could find, but they are too large for a Sierra series pen blank.
    Will have to see if I can get some that are much, much smaller.

Any fly fishermen out there with any ideas?

Les

Last edited by Les Elm; 08-10-2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Les that is a great looking pen and the white sure makes the fly stand out
    "Every day's a school day"

I tied flies as a kid, and an uncle gave me a pack of some ridiculously small hooks, something like size 22 or 24, as I recall. (He said they were the secret to catching big trout.) The little guys were probably between 1/4" and 3/8" long. I did a quick Googling and didn't see anyone selling hooks that size, but surely there's someone making tiny fishing flies out there somewhere.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

check out orvis, they must have some smaller flies,, back in my younger years we used to tie flies as well and like vaughn said the smaller ones were better..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Les I will check out my stock. Problem i see is the smaller they get the less spectactular cause the "typical known fly" patterns are sort of streamer types with spectacular colors. But let me take a look and i will get back to you by PM.

The fly on the pen barrel sure looks good with the feather. You sure have an artistic touch for the design. We gotta be able to get you a hook.

I am out later this morning and while i am will also take a wiz past a tackle store here and see.

See the reason you finding the big stuff is typical of retailers selling stuff made offshore that is made without any knowledge of the art of flyfishing and its way easier to use a bigger hook and get the imitation right than doing it with tiny ones which in reality imitate the insect more.

Lets see what we can do before we kill this off.
    cheers

It would be hard to improve on that.
    I live in an area that attracts thousands of fly fishermen every year. And, each year there is a huge convocation for fly fishermen.
    I'm sure pens made like that would sell quickly. These guys are not poor, very upscale for the most part.
    And many specialize in selling their own design flys. Pens with those custom flies would 'fly' off the table.
    I don't do much with plastics but that concept is very tempting.
    Beautiful, beautiful.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Afterthought. I bought some mini-stuff at one time to make desk pen stands for fishermen. Tiny working reels, rods, etc. They didn't sell. But that's another sad story.
    I might have a miniature fly around I never used. Will look for it. And, I can check into one of our several fly fishing speciality shops (including Wal-Mart) and ask for tiny flies.
    In the meantime, you might want to go online and check out Bass Pro Shops offerings. The store in Springfield, Missouri has a large separate department devoted just to fly fishing.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

here is a link to a place you can tget some smaller ones les..http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/...p?cPath=21_290
    and its in your area
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Just had a......"Duh" moment.......

Locally, we have a company that sells fly tying supplies. They claim to be the world's largest in this speciality. I know one of the owners. I'll contact to see what they might have.

I may have some around the house or in storage that my dad gave me. I may be seeing him this weekend too. He fishes for trout daily down at Cassville MO, so I'm sure he's got something that will work for you. He does his own and sells them, so he's got both.

Are you wanting a finished fly or just small hooks?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault