Once the parts were cut, milled, and checked for squareness and size, it was time to dry fit for glue-up and then finally, assembly.
I use the Rockler Squares. Here I can clamp an end to the bench and then clamp on a side. As they say, "look, Ma, no hands!"
This is the time I check again that every joint fits perfectly. Then get the glue bottle out. I use artist's paint brushes from Harbor Freight to spread glue. I found it to be more tidy that anything else. My brush bottle has half the cap cut away to insert the brush into water. The half portion of the cap also allows for a brush "scraper" to wring out excess water.
When I got to the top of the cabinet, I had to move things to lower saw horses. This wasn't too heavy yet and slid down to the lower platform easily. If it had been too heavy, I would have rolled the bench under the hoist and used it.
Because a heavy mortiser will top off this cabinet, I screwed the sides into the ends as well as the rabbets and glue. Sort of belt and suspenders, function over beauty.
When all was attached, I had a half millimeter or less overhang. I simply routed it flush, sanded it smooth and rolled the edge with my sanding block to get a nice finger friendly edge.
I did another stupid thing. I hate crawling into the cabinet to install drawer slides. So I get this bright idea to install the cabinet profiles on the sides before assembly. I was determined to get them both straight and directly across from one another.
And I clamped squares on for the installation. Thought I was golden.
Well, I forgot more than a couple of things as it turned out. When I get to posting the drawer installation, you will see. So if you are following along for the purpose of building, do not mount drawer slides at this point.
Part 2 - Update