Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinch Me....

Pinch Me....

I know this has nothing to do with woodworking, but I really just had to share!

Today started out with rain, and more rain, I was really thinking I would not get a ride in, then around 3 PM it cleared up, and I could do my deliveries by bike, yeah!

In the end, there were few deliveries, so almost no miles, then, I got a call from our once a month customer that lives quite far, and between him and us is a very steep hill valley of sorts, if you can have a valley in a city

This is one customer that I was still using the scooter for doing the delivery, as he also orders ten 1.8 liter glass bottles of sake, that is a total of 32 Kg/70lbs.

Eight weeks ago when I started this, I was thinking that "Someday" when I get in a lot better shape and drop a bunch of weight, I'll do this delivery on the bicycle too, but I really thought that was a long way off, well, I'm happy to say, I was wrong!

Today, was " Someday"

Here is the bike and trailer ready for the long haul.

The trailer weighs another 20 Kg or so, it was lighter, but then I changed the wheels to ones with brakes and added some other stuff, even the bigger tires and foam mat in the bottom add weight, so really I was dragging about 55Kg/120 lbs behind me...............

what am I nuts

The trip was 5.6 Km/3.5 miles one way, so a total of just over 11 Km/7 miles, I averaged 14.9 Km/h or 9.25 mph, I'm pleased with that to say the least. There is one killer hill on the way there, up, up and up, I clocked it, almost a kilometer long, or almost 1100 yards, it starts out fairly mild and then builds to the upper part is just killer, I really did think that I would have to stop and get off and push, but all I can say is "Thank GOD for my granny gear!"

By the time I got to the top, I have to admit, I was looking on the ground to see if I'd coughed up a lung, but I made it!! Whoo Whoo!!

This seemed like a very far away goal a short time ago, but I can say that my fitness has improved a lot in the last eight weeks, as well as dropping the 29 pounds.

Personal milestone met and passed!

Not bad for a fat guy on an old mountain bike I figure!

Pinch me, I'm living a dream
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I can't find any extra fat to pinch you otherwise I would!!!! Good on you Stu. Milestone? Yah, big one! Now nothing is going to stop you from riding and delivering on that bike!! Congratulations.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Super!!!
    Congrats.
    When yer really trim we expect pictures.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks guys, but there is lots of fat left to pinch on me, got another 38 Kg or 84 lbs to go but, I'm getting there!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Way to go! Those hills and valleys also increase the speed at which you lose weight too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Well here is a pic that shows my progress so far.........

Lots left to pinch, but I am getting smaller
    William Arthur Ward

AWESOME! Congrats!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi