Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walnut vase ( hollow form)

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

walnut vase ( hollow form)

This is a piece i've been working on at the same time as the big one. When i finally got the big one done i got back to this one. it's 61/2W x5T. thought it turned out pretty nice, but as always would like your opinions and critques. Finished with 6 coats of rattle can laquer, and will buff in a week or so.
    Thanks Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 [800x600].JPG   006 [800x600].JPG   007 [800x600].JPG   008 [800x600].JPG  

i can say this about the pictures steve that gray T-shirt is a very nice back drop, notice how the shine and grain of your piece show up but dont glare at you.. its the gray soft back ground that helps in the lighting and contrast of the flash that you used..your gettun tha hang of it on the picture taken and it looks like the new tool is doing pretty good for you in the hollowing as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i can say this about the pictures steve that gray T-shirt is a very nice back drop, notice how the shine and grain of your piece show up but dont glare at you.. its the gray soft back ground that helps in the lighting and contrast of the flash that you used..your gettun tha hang of it on the picture taken and it looks like the new tool is doing pretty good for you in the hollowing as well
    Thanks. See this old hillybilly does listen and pay attention when he hears good advise.

It's very nice, but I think it needs a collar or lid with a finial. I made something with a similar shape a while back, and I couldn't believe the difference once I added a lid with a finial. Someday I'll try a collar, because I like the way they look.

Looks real good, Steve. And I agree with Larry...the pics are looking better and better. (So are the turnings, for that matter.) My only critique would be that the top of the vessel seems to flatten out an inch or two away from the opening. I think it would help to have the curve continue smoothly from the shoulder to the lip of the opening. Alan's suggestion of a collar and/or finial could help break up that flatness, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great piece.

It's a nice shape and good chunk of wood I'm in the collar crowd and can't wait to see the buff. This one may look sharper with a little gloss? Normally not a fan of bling shine, but it may work here
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I like it as is although it will be even nicer after buffing.
    Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Van Art View Post
    It's very nice, but I think it needs a collar or lid with a finial. I made something with a similar shape a while back, and I couldn't believe the difference once I added a lid with a finial. Someday I'll try a collar, because I like the way they look.
    Alan thanks. had just done the large one with a collar so that's the reason for doing this one this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looks real good, Steve. And I agree with Larry...the pics are looking better and better. (So are the turnings, for that matter.) My only critique would be that the top of the vessel seems to flatten out an inch or two away from the opening. I think it would help to have the curve continue smoothly from the shoulder to the lip of the opening. Alan's suggestion of a collar and/or finial could help break up that flatness, though.
    Thanks much that's the sorta stuff that i need to hear, as it's the only way to get better. Seeing as ya seem to think it needs something else, i'm taking your adavice and will be turning a finial. What do ya all think about maybe using holly or maple?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bower View Post
    Great piece.
    Thanks Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    It's a nice shape and good chunk of wood I'm in the collar crowd and can't wait to see the buff. This one may look sharper with a little gloss? Normally not a fan of bling shine, but it may work here
    Thanks Jim when i get the finial done and the piece buffed will post a new pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    I like it as is although it will be even nicer after buffing.
    Good job!
    Thanks Dennis. If some one wants it and don't like the finial i can always take it off and use it for a different one.

steve i am not a spinny dude but i think it would look better witha similar coloerd collar and final not a major contrast try to make it blend to gether rather then be added feature.. another words not black and white but black and brown maybe cherry??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!