Building the altar- Major problem

well I got a late start today. I had some erand to run this morning that took up the whole morning. Didn't get to the shop until 1. I did get most of the pieces for the base cut and should have no problem finishing in the morning as well as planing down the pieces.

attachment.php

This is a picture of one of the table cross braces on the leg assembly. I will cut the mortises tomarrow after I plane them to thickness. I am using floating tenions just because it is easier

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 91
Not much to show but I did get a lot done. All of the pieces are either done or rough cut, I'll finish them up tomarrow as well as all of the mortises Should be able to start sanding and dry fitting the rest by Sunday. I'll post pictures tomarrow. I, know, no pics didn't happen.

Wow that must be heavy Don. That maple sure looks great in that thickness.:thumb: I was over at my local lumber guy the other day and dont know what has happened to wood prices but up here they gone half mad.:eek: I would hate to price out that wood here.;) I bought a piece of rough sawn pine foot wide and it cost $2.70 a lineal foot. I really gotta find me an Amish wood cutter like Ken.

looks good don, and rob you got a reasonable source about 6 hrs away:) you just need to drop in to visit.. don. so you hand cuttin the mortices or using a morticing machine? and what are you using for the loose tenons?

looks good don, and rob you got a reasonable source about 6 hrs away:) you just need to drop in to visit.. don. so you hand cuttin the mortices or using a morticing machine? and what are you using for the loose tenons?

These are hand cut mortises and the floating tensions are nothing more then some 4/4 maple scraps that I had left over from the other parts of the built, I cut then and plane them to fit.

Looks good Don. So your using loose tenons. You making your own or using something already made up? Are you using a mortiser or a jig and a router? :wave:

Any guess as to what that side weighs Don.?:eek: Sure looks solid.:thumb:

Rob, 39.4 lbs. I quess the wood weight caclulator was a bit off or this woold has no moisture content

alan i asked those same questions earlier:) he making his own tenons and cutting the mortises by hand.

The legs are 8 inches wide at the bottom and four at the top and the top piece is 6 inches as a matter of fact all the pieces are to big for my morticer.

I am using 3/4" forsteners bit and my chisels.

I didn't get as much done today as I wanted due to church and a trip to the orange BORG but here is what I did get done.

All the pieces for the second end are now sanded, I'll cut the mortices in the morning and glue it up tomarrow.

attachment.php

Oh yea, the reason why I had to go to the BORG is I needed clamps that would open to 62" for the base and now since I have to fabricate the top due to the lack of availability of 12/4 hard maple. I'll need clamps that will go to 72". My Biggest ones go to 54"

attachment.php

I'll leave these at 10 feet and then I shouldn't run out of capaicty in the future.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 67