Kelton Hollowers

Here is a HF I made with the Kelton hollowers. It is Elm and finished with antique oil finish. Has a walnut collar. It is 6 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" across.

Attachments

• Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Elm Walnut Vase 6.jpg
    Elm Walnut Vase 6.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 18
Looks good Bernie, you really LIKE that walnut stuff eh?

How about some "In Progress" pics the next time out?

Love to see how that hollower works!

Cheers!

Nicely done Bernie! When I get those 12 knobs done for the guy in Seattle, I plan on making one with my new Jamieson rig. I refuse to let myself play with it until those knobs are done first.

Looks good, Bernie. Which Kelton hollowers do you have? 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4"? Are you going to be able to link them up with the Monster rig? I've already decided that I want a few smaller diameter tools to attach to the captive system, so I ordered the Don Pencil Stinger tools with the 7/16" bars. (He had a good "seconds and blems" price on them. Frank Fusco will be proud of me on two counts.) :D I think they'll make a workable addition to the Monster rig (and the new handle) for the smaller pieces.

Ken, what's this about 12 knobs? You may have posted about it, but I missed it. (Or you may not have posted it here.) Do tell! Have you gone pro already? :)

Looks good, Bernie. Which Kelton hollowers do you have? 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4"? Are you going to be able to link them up with the Monster rig? I've already decided that I want a few smaller diameter tools to attach to the captive system, so I ordered the Don Pencil Stinger tools with the 7/16" bars. (He had a good "seconds and blems" price on them. Frank Fusco will be proud of me on two counts.) :D I think they'll make a workable addition to the Monster rig (and the new handle) for the smaller pieces.

Ken, what's this about 12 knobs? You may have posted about it, but I missed it. (Or you may not have posted it here.) Do tell! Have you gone pro already? :)

You got Don Pencil tools too? :bonkers: I'm just so proud of you. :clap: :bow:

Vaughn ....at another site a member was looking for someone to turn 12 knobs out of bubinga for a project he was building. Though it's his first project it's gorgeous. Dummy, even after 8 years in the Navy, volunteered to turn those 12 knobs. I've been practicing for 3 weeks now. I hope to retire in 2009. I hope to have those knobs done by then........Turning 12 identical knobs is going to be a reall challenge. And no...I didn't turn Pro....I'm doing this free gratus......DUMMY!:rolleyes:

Nicely done Bernie! When I get those 12 knobs done for the guy in Seattle, I plan on making one with my new Jamieson rig. I refuse to let myself play with it until those knobs are done first.

Thanks again. Ken I am either going to order the Monster HF tool or the Jamieson. If I can get Randy to call or e-mail me it will probably be the Monster tool.

Vaughn I got the mini 5/16" and the 5/8" ones. For free hand I love'em.

Vaughn ....at another site a member was looking for someone to turn 12 knobs out of bubinga for a project he was building. Though it's his first project it's gorgeous. Dummy, even after 8 years in the Navy, volunteered to turn those 12 knobs. I've been practicing for 3 weeks now. I hope to retire in 2009. I hope to have those knobs done by then........Turning 12 identical knobs is going to be a reall challenge. And no...I didn't turn Pro....I'm doing this free gratus......DUMMY!:rolleyes:
Ken, you'll get 'er done, I'm sure. Heck, make 24 and pick the best dozen. ;)

Thanks again. Ken I am either going to order the Monster HF tool or the Jamieson. If I can get Randy to call or e-mail me it will probably be the Monster tool.

Vaughn I got the mini 5/16" and the 5/8" ones. For free hand I love'em.
I know Randy's been dealing with a cold or the flu lately, so that may be why you haven't heard back from him. Between the Kelton tools and whatever captive rig you get, you're gonna have a nice arsenal. :thumb:

Yea yea yea, I know Dario. I bite the dust today and ordered the Monster HF tool from Randy. He was under the weather but contacted me today so should have it in a couple of weeks or so. Can't wait to get it in and get after it. ;) :rolleyes:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome to the club, Bernie! I'm sure you're gonna be happy with it. One thing I found out on my Craftsman lathe is that the factory tool rest won't quite go low enough, so the tip of the tool is slightly above centerline (because of the thickness of the fat 3/4" boring bars). I contemplated grinding a little bit off the top of the mounting hole on the banjo (since the tool rest has a collar that keeps it from going any lower), but I ended up buying another tool rest. If you get another rest for your Craftsman, be aware the post hole is 22mm diameter, even though it sure looks like 7/8". DAMHIKT. ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome to the club, Bernie! I'm sure you're gonna be happy with it. One thing I found out on my Craftsman lathe is that the factory tool rest won't quite go low enough, so the tip of the tool is slightly above centerline (because of the thickness of the fat 3/4" boring bars). I contemplated grinding a little bit off the top of the mounting hole on the banjo (since the tool rest has a collar that keeps it from going any lower), but I ended up buying another tool rest. If you get another rest for your Craftsman, be aware the post hole is 22mm diameter, even though it sure looks like 7/8". DAMHIKT. ;)

Howzabout just having a custom tool rest made? My local welder charges me shop minimum for a rest, they come to less than $10.00 each. If you have a friend with a welder and pile of scrap, it could be less.

: If you get another rest for your Craftsman, be aware the post hole is 22mm diameter, even though it sure looks like 7/8". DAMHIKT. ;)

Yep Vaughn I gotcha on that one. I will just take the banjo off and take it to my welder buddy to let him figure out the size. I am also going to have him make me a 6", 9", and 12" round bar tool rests. I am also going to have him make me a "J" shaped one also about 9" long and offset. If that don't work I will order another tool rest from Sears and take it out to my welder buddy. He has a precision grinder and let him take however much I need. Thanks a lot guys.

I've got a machinist/welder buddy at work, and I think I need to see how willing he'd be to make a few things like tool rests and other ideas I have. He usually seems willing, but sometimes the problem is actually getting him to find time to do it. :rolleyes:

Yep Randy caught me this morning and wondered if we had talked Vaughn about the tool rest. I assured him that we had. I told him I had some ideas but may end up doing what you did and just buy another rest. Anyway I told him thank you for the heads up. Thank you to Vaughn for giving me a heads up.

Hey Vaughn I just came in from the shop. Measured the tool post on mine and it measured .870". I am still going to order a 22 MM one though. I would rather have it .009" under. Anyway looks as though things will be ok. Thank you Vaughn for making me aware of this.