Buffer

Got a Beall buffing system for Christmas a little late from son and DIL. He went to buy it and Woodcraft did not have it in stock. So it was on order for a while. He got it a couple of weeks ago and I just got it mounted. Sure does make a difference.

Attachments

• Beall Buff 1.jpg
    Beall Buff 1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Beall Buff 6.jpg
    Beall Buff 6.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
Cool stuff, Bernie. :thumb: Right now I'm just using buffer mandrels mounted in a drill chuck on the lathe, but I'd like to get set up to buff without tying up the lathe, and with something that reaches into bowls better. I've got an old motor or two that would be good candidates for the Beall system.

BTW, I moved this thread over to the Turning Tool Show and Tell section. I figured it qualified on both counts. ;)

Very nice, I use an Delta high speed grinder for the first two buffers, and then a mandrel and the drill chuck on the lathe (with a draw rod) for the final wax.

Not "Beal" buffs, but the same kind of thing, sure works well.

Cheers!

On another forum, I got taken to task for suggesting that spending the money on a Beall system was unnecessary. My buffers are simply a bolt with washers and a nut held either with a chuck in the lathe or a mandrel adapter on an old motor. Cost is negligible and they work fine.

Frank,

If you are happy with the results that is all that matters ;)

As I mentioned, most times I too want to buy commercial stuff but if I cannot afford them and I can make one myself, I go for it.

Funny thing is it really does make me proud using stuff I made...even if it is just made of scraps and looks like cr@p LOL :D

The flack came from those who had spent big bucks on the name brand item. On top of that, I misspelled "Beall" as "Beal". Man, wadda sin you'd a thunk I'd committed.
Enneyhow, here is a shot of one of my $2.00 buffers. This one is mostly used to polish brass parts for antique guns and accessories.

Attachments

• buffer.jpg
    buffer.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4