Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mortising hinges rookie question

Mortising hinges rookie question

I usually use a chisel to mortise in my hinges but the desk I'm making need these sewing machine hinges. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1151&tagem=rv
    I bought 2 sets because I'm using 3 hinges on the drop front.

I have no clue as to how to mortise them in. I certainly can't do them with a chisel
    I was thinking of using my router but I have no clue how to make the template. Maybe I should go to a machine shop and have them make one out of a heavy sheet of plastic Do I make them the same size as the hinge and use a mortise bit with a bearing do I use a bushing and make the template larger by the thickness of the bushing
    I sure wish I ordered Carol's book.
    Any help will be really appreciated.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bob, a spiral bit works great for free hand mortising. If you can't do the template, it will let you get really close to the lines and then you can clean up the mortise with chisels.

A spiral bit will cut without pulling the router one direction or another. There are two types, up cut and down. I've been told that the direction is where the frays will be around the edges, so down spiral would probably be the one to use.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 08-12-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What is the diameter? Can you get very close with a Forstner bit? Drill the recesses and then connect them with the chisel(?). This is why I have one gouge in addition to my chisels. For those non-square things that are between Forstners ;-) If the free hand routing idea doesn't sit well, make a template from some hardboard and let that be your guide(?).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

freehand is pretty much out. I wish I had the talent to do it, but I would most certainly mess it up. I can just see my shakey hands being guided by my stressed out body and have the dog bark or the phone ring Probably have to restart the desk and pry the router out from the concrete wall

I'll check the diameter and see if I have a forstner that matches. I'd try to make a template with that for the rounded part. Any ideas on the best way to size a template
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Page 100-101 in my book, my friend.

Here is the condensed version. You will need a special bit, and once you have it, you will use it on every hinge mortise you make. It is 1/2" in diameter, with a cutting length of ~1/2", with a flush bearing on the 1/4" shank.

Bend your hinge over the end of a piece of 1/2" MDF and trace an outline of the hinge. Cut out the shape of the hinge, sanding, filing, whatever, until your hinge fits snugly in the cut out. Add a fence to the edge of the MDF pattern, and mount it slightly lower than the face of MDF.

Install the router bit. Set the depth by stacking the hinge plate on top of a scrap of the MDF. The bit must then be flush with the hinge plate. Clamp your jig against the edge of the workpiece and rout out the mortise. The bit can only go within the confines of the pattern.

You're golden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Any ideas on the best way to size a template
    As Carol says; I bandsaw or coping saw mine to "close" and then use a rasp and sandpaper to get to final shape.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

You cant get much better than a direct advice from "The Router Lady"
    cheers

Forestner Bit of the diameter of the hinge width, then chisel the straight by hand. Why do we think the Router is the Super fixer-uper? Long befor the router was the chisel, etc., etc., enough preaching... I did similar a bunch of years ago... Forestner Bit for the curved part, then use a bench knife score the straight part and the chisel the 3/32" deep flat. Not a Devils Task.

I'm going to try it today.. THANK YOU
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Forestner Bit of the diameter of the hinge width, then chisel the straight by hand. Why do we think the Router is the Super fixer-uper? Long befor the router was the chisel, etc., etc., enough preaching... I did similar a bunch of years ago... Forestner Bit for the curved part, then use a bench knife score the straight part and the chisel the 3/32" deep flat. Not a Devils Task.
    i dont think that is the case Mr. Simpson. but in todays world most folk want it fast and hand work isnt there idea of fast.. just like the boards i sanded down for tom a few days ago he didnt look at the plane as making the sander less work.. but now after seeing it do just that he will look at the plane as a tool to make his life easier next time. we all learn from our mistakes and our experiences, till you do it by hand like you mentioned the only way to make something round is with a curve making machine.. and if you have alot of them to do, then the template and router will out do any hand cuttin any time in speed.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!