Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might be hooked. Blame Les.

I might be hooked. Blame Les.

As I have reported, my shooting days may be ended because of shoulder problems. Can't even hold up a rifle or pistol anymore.
    I live in an area that draws thousands each year for the great fishing, both lake and river. The river fly fishermen are, by far, the most avid of those who visit, and spend money, here. (I know I could get in trouble with the tournament bass fishermen. But, what the 'hey'? )
    When I went into the fly shop it occurred to me that fly fishing may be a great new outdoor activity for me since my shooting/hunting opportunities are now quite limited. And, OH, BTW, the Forest Service has also shut off most of the old logging roads and trails for ATV use, there goes hunting.
    So, I may be 'hooked' and am considering taking up fly fishing.
    I joined a big fly fishing discussion forum. Probably a good forum but, I have found it to be totally useless for me, and probably for any other beginner. The guys talk in vague, undefined, terms and their own shop talk. Questions asked by others were, as I see it, responded to with a lot of words but no definitive answers.
    It is going to cost a bundle to get started. About $500.00. I'm not making the investment without knowing what I'm getting in to.
    This kinda renewed my personal campaign about not using acronyms and abbreviations here. I do gently jide those who do. My philosophy is 'tell them what you are talking about'. Oh, well. Sermon for the day.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

frank unless you have a new method of caasting, your shoulder isnt gonna like fly fishun.. it uses as many and maybe more shoulder muscles than hold up a piece of iron
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    frank unless you have a new method of caasting, your shoulder isnt gonna like fly fishun.. it uses as many and maybe more shoulder muscles than hold up a piece of iron
    Uh-Oh!
    Thought about that. I would, of course, try out something first. When I took the grandsons fishing recently, I used a standard rod with spinning reel and was OK.
    I have developed some weird looking muscle bumps that take over some of the chores of the torn, and now atrophied, muscles. But, for holding out a pistol at arms length, still can't do that. Or holding up a heavy rifle with left hand, can't do that either but I can hold a very light rifle, albeit, not steady.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'll second that motion! Before you fall down that mountain (VERY slippery slope) try it out. Fly fishing is a very engaging, zenlike sport. I've fished all day, lost dozens of flies to trees and snags, caught no fish, hurt like heck, and went back for more. I love it! Kinda like hand planing. There's better ways of catching fish, (Heresy!) but no better way of fishing. It really doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get a taste of this most enjoyable endeavor, just buy (or borrow) a beginners rod/reel combination, get some flies and a license and go flail some water. Having said all that Larry's right (no surprise), fly casting will make you hurt.
    Victor

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    A video is worth a thousand pictures.
    Experience is priceless.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I am with the others on this. My dad started me out fly fishing when I was just about knee high so I love it. If you go anywhere close to a Bass Pro shop, most of them have fly fishing casting ponds and have trial rods, I believe they even provide someone who can show you how.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I don't do it much, but it is a lot of fun. I say give it a shot.

I don't know the details of your shoulder problems, but if it's something that might benefit from use, well, who knows.

And if fly fishing is too much, well you can allways just go fishing the 'regular' way.

If you're interested, I made a fly tying box that holds my fly making tools and materials and serves as a handy dandy workbench. I could take some pictures and post em... I find tying flys to be a pretty relaxing activity as well...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent, I'd sure like to see your set up.
    Victor

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    A video is worth a thousand pictures.
    Experience is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I joined a big fly fishing discussion forum. Probably a good forum but, I have found it to be totally useless for me, and probably for any other beginner. The guys talk in vague, undefined, terms and their own shop talk. Questions asked by others were, as I see it, responded to with a lot of words but no definitive answers.

Frank now i know why many of us get on here. Its not just woodworking we also like the outdoors. I am a flyfisherman and have found that there are two types not unsimilar to the woodworking. Those that are snooty and think they are above everyone have all the fancy branded kit and wont give a newbie the time of day. I think they are insecure or were born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

It is going to cost a bundle to get started. About $500.00. I'm not making the investment without knowing what I'm getting in to.

This is way too much for a beginner. I would buy good gear but $500 is way to much. More on pm.

This kinda renewed my personal campaign about not using acronyms and abbreviations here. I do gently jide those who do. My philosophy is 'tell them what you are talking about'. Oh, well. Sermon for the day.

Well we share this feeling together. I find you guys in North America seem to have abreviated everything to the point where one needs a code book.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    I 1000% agree with Larry here these are wise words. Be warned I come back sometimes in pain beyond belief and i dont have a shooting shoulder. Its a lot of work. Maybe you want to think of spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Skellett View Post
    I'll second that motion! Before you fall down that mountain (VERY slippery slope) try it out. Fly fishing is a very engaging, zenlike sport. I've fished all day, lost dozens of flies to trees and snags, caught no fish, hurt like heck, and went back for more. I love it! Kinda like hand planing. There's better ways of catching fish, (Heresy!) but no better way of fishing. It really doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get a taste of this most enjoyable endeavor, just buy (or borrow) a beginners rod/reel combination, get some flies and a license and go flail some water. Having said all that Larry's right (no surprise), fly casting will make you hurt.
    +1 Victor to every single word you said thats why i had to quote you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I am with the others on this. If you go anywhere close to a Bass Pro shop, most of them have fly fishing casting ponds and have trial rods, I believe they even provide someone who can show you how.
    Frank the best flyfishing equipment shop will match you to a rod and by the way the line needs to be matched to the rod too. And times i have found your own way sometimes needs you to go up or down one line weight no. So if they aint prepared to let you try and help you take your $$ somewhere else and develop a relationship with a local store that has a trial pond or sets aside a day or time when they take you down to local water to try out gear. For years i had really bad time trying because i did not do this. Then you meet the real deal guys and its day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I don't do it much, but it is a lot of fun. I say give it a shot.

And if fly fishing is too much, well you can allways just go fishing the 'regular' way.

If you're interested, I made a fly tying box that holds my fly making tools and materials and serves as a handy dandy workbench. I could take some pictures and post em... I find tying flys to be a pretty relaxing activity as well...
    Agree with what Brent said, what you got to loose especially if you live in trout country and rivers. I envy you. When i get my jet i will fly down and give you a few lessons. Trouble is i have to win the lotto to get the jet so that could be a while. Especially since i dont take tickets that often.

Brent I would love to see your fly tying box. I have a kit but have not yet done much tying myself. I got my kids to learn to tie when they were 8 or 9. They made a great job of their flys.
    cheers

I wish you succeed with the fly fishing
    have you consider buying a special stock for your rifle or pistol that use a harness to hold it in place

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I wish you succeed with the fly fishing
    have you consider buying a special stock for your rifle or pistol that use a harness to hold it in place
    Ray, those devices would be illegal in competition and akward for hunting. And very slow for personal defense.