Wood and Stone

Paul Douglass

This is my first attempt at turning a lidded box and first attempt at using stone and wood. I didn't have a "Chunk" of cocobolo big enough to turn anything so as you can tell I stacked pieces. Next time I will try staved.

I decided I don't like the knob on top the lid in stone. I thought it had to be stone but after finishing I think it may have been better wood.

I'd appreciate you input on what and how to improve. This is pretty knew to me. I have a lot to learn so please fire away.

Attachments

• 400_1725.JPG
    400_1725.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 400_1727.JPG
    400_1727.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 400_1728.JPG
    400_1728.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 46
Sweet! I like the stone knob myself, but think it'd look nice with wood, too. What kind of stone did you use?

I don't see much to critique...the finished surface looks great (no sanding or tool marks), the curve in the domed lid looks just right (to me, anyway) and the outside form fits the function. :thumb: You even did a pretty good job of getting the grain lined up in your stack of wood.

Yes the knob did turn out darker, darn, but it is out of the same chunck of stone. I think it is darker because I is thicker than the ring and doesn't have fusions in it. Stone is like a chunck of wood. You don't know what is will look like until you finish it. This is what it looks like to start with:

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 9