Rabbet plane wanted

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The project I am on would benefit mightily from a rabbet plane. It would be used to clean up a sawn rabbet.

What should I look for, and what would be a fair price for a user? Brands, sources?

Anyone in the family have one available?

If I have to go new - suggestions?

I have been woodworking for decades and haven't really needed one until now, so I don't expect this to be a big time user, but just the same, it is needed now.

Hey, Paul Gallian, if you are going to that auction this weekend and there happens to be one there, maybe we can do a deal???

One last thing, I really need it next week! Or the project won't make the due date.

Cross posted in the Classifieds as well. Desperate times, desperate measures. ;)

Hi Carol,
Not trying to talk you out of a new tool purchase but you could build a chisel plane and be up and running in a couple hours.

Attachments

• image69.resized.jpg
    image69.resized.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image70.resized.jpg
    image70.resized.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image71.resized.jpg
    image71.resized.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image72.resized.jpg
    image72.resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image51.resized.jpg
    image51.resized.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 30
that warrants a wow on frugal and inventiness,, this is right down carols alley.. great idea victor and you just jumped way up my list of folks to see someday:):thumb:

I like it!

Just remembered I bought a skew iron for a plane build from a family member here. Anyone know how I could make that work? I can't quite visualize it. I can take a picture of it later if need be.

I like it!

Just remembered I bought a skew iron for a plane build from a family member here. Anyone know how I could make that work? I can't quite visualize it. I can take a picture of it later if need be.

Here's the real thing with skewed irons Carol.

Attachments

• Antiques bench show 3.jpg
    Antiques bench show 3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 28
  • Antiques bench show 2.jpg
    Antiques bench show 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Antiques bench show 1.jpg
    Antiques bench show 1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
Ok, now look at Bart's second and third pictures and someone tell me how to cut the angled/bevelled hole in that plane.

Simple use a angled beveled hole cutter.:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You may be able to a pretty good job of it with a Forstner bit with the material laid on a beveled piece of material & then cut through the bottom with a hand saw after drilling. Then a little hand work with a file & sand paper. Even a dowel with different gits of sand paper wrapped around it will work.

Last edited:
Ok, now look at Bart's second and third pictures and someone tell me how to cut the angled/bevelled hole in that plane.

Well, it's a HAND tool, so no power stuff need be used.

Use a brace & bit to cut a thru hole; then use chisels, rasps, and carving knives to open the hole up and flare it outward. That's likely how the original makers did it.

My visualizer is on the blink.

Those pictures still look to me like the plane iron has a straight edge perpendicular to its length and is oriented in the plane body at an angle relative to the bottom of the plane.

The plane iron I have has its cutting edge angled (30° I think) relative to its length. How does one make the plane body that holds this?

Pictures are good.

That's not a real easy plane to make I don't think. Try just sitting the blade flush with the ground, then elevate the back of the blade. Envision a block of wood skewed to the blade that will run down the two sides.

The angle is complex in the sense it's going to be 20-45 degrees off the side and bottom of the plane. Think trying to cut crown molding while it's laying flat at the proper angle for a miter when it's on the wall.

Another alternative to making a chisel plane, veritas has a chisel plane holder for about $50 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32661&cat=1,41182,48945). Not as cool as making one, but if you're too busy to build one it's not to expensive. I've looked at it before but never bought one. I'm assuming you want to clean up the bottom of a rabbet. If it's for the side (widening a dado) you'll need either a side rabbet plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=60012&cat=1,41182,48945) or a shoulder plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48430&cat=1,41182,48945)I think.

Another option for the bottom of a rabbet is a LN 60-1/2 rabbetting block plane or similar (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1269). This is the only block plane I have, and it works well for me as a general purpose block plane. I wouldn't recommend trying to do any rabbets entirely with this, but if there's enough of a shoulder, say 1/2" or bigger it can clean them up pretty good without bevelling it. There are probably some cheap used similar styled block planes out there. I find it works very well for fine tuning tenons.

Depending on how much you have to do, I once used 60 grit paper glued to a block of wood for this. No idea how much you need to clean up.

Here's the real thing with skewed irons Carol.

I have a couple of these and may be willing to sell one. Let me take some pictures and you can see if one will work for you. I don't use them because I have modern planes that do the same thing.

You can find them on eBay now and again at a reasonable price.

Mike

[update: Here's some pictures. The narrow one is 3/4" wide and the bigger one is 1 3/8" wide. The problem with wooden planes is that they're more difficult to adjust and you can't close up the mouth except by letting in a piece of wood. Neither plane has a nicker.]

Attachments

• Rabbet-plane-1.jpg
    Rabbet-plane-1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Rabbet-plane-2.jpg
    Rabbet-plane-2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Rabbet-plane-3.jpg
    Rabbet-plane-3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Mike, I am interested. PM me with a price and a picture of which one. I am headed out of town and likely won't be back online until Sunday evening.

Thanks.

Hey Bart you been holding out on us. Time you let us see all your Neader tools if you got things like those planes.:D:thumb:

Just for the record for any Neanders that dont want to get caught up in the Ebay racket, the No. 78 Stanley Rabbet plane is available at Sears for $50 bucks online.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00972297000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

I have been watching the auctions and quiet frankley some people are bidding crazy pricing for what i would call pure user planes. If it were not for my sense of ethics i would be making a small profit buying a couple off sears and having them rust up quickly and offer them on Ebay.:rofl::rofl:but that would be plane fraud.:D