My ash firewood stash is finally starting to crack faster than I can turn it, so I've been doing what I can with what I've got. I went through a lot of failed ideas on this one before I ended up with the final product. The story behind it is long, and I have a hundred or so pics to sort through before I can tell it, but for now, here's what I ended up with. It's about 12 1/4" wide and 7 1/2" tall,with no foot...just a rounded bottom. I'm considering turning an ebony donut for it to sit on, so it can be tilted in different orientations. The cracks are filled with black epoxy. I also burned the rim with a propane torch. It's finished with sprayed USL (water-based acrylic lacquer) colored with TransTint dyes. Instead of dying the wood, I dyed the clear finish. (As I said, the story of how I got there is long. I'll post the whole thing in a day or two.) No buffing yet...just how the USL came out of the gun, and I might just leave it that way.
As usual, comment, critiques, suggestions, and questions are all welcome.