how is it in there?

larry merlau

ok this afternoon i was mowing the lawn and one of those infernal kids from the niegbors shot my frt door glass and it shatterd on one side.. this model has two glass lights that seem to be held with glue or goop i quess no nails or screw to hold the trim piece around it. oh the neighbor kids was running the mower and hit a stone,, but we wont tell the homeowner ok:) and i dont have kids next door:eek::eek:.. But dad it wasnt me it was my brother:rofl::rofl:
any way how do i get the trim out so i can get the new glass in and trim back in one piece..? when i was rich i would replace the door but not these days:dunno::dunno:

Larry is this a double pain window in a side lite? If it is what i think, you will have to replace the whole thing. When they made these they will suck all the air out, so they don't get any mosture in them. I'm sure you have seen some over the years that the seal has gone bad and they did just that. How if that's the case you might as well just go ahead and knock the whole thing out and then scrape off any and all caulk that woun't peal off. shouln't be a major job as i've done hundreds of them that way. Just have a piece of ply wood cut to fit the hole till the glass co. can make, or order you a new pain.
Steve

Larry is this a double pain window in a side lite? If it is what i think, you will have to replace the whole thing. When they made these they will suck all the air out, so they don't get any mosture in them. I'm sure you have seen some over the years that the seal has gone bad and they did just that. How if that's the case you might as well just go ahead and knock the whole thing out and then scrape off any and all caulk that woun't peal off. shouln't be a major job as i've done hundreds of them that way. Just have a piece of ply wood cut to fit the hole till the glass co. can make, or order you a new pain.
Steve

your close steve its a main glass in the main door, the door has two lights that are 8"wide and 36" high i got one on the right:( it is a double glass piece threma pane .. i know that i will need to get the whole thing in reguards to the glass itself but i cant see how they got the wood trim held in there to hold the works in and look purty to.. is it glued ?

your close steve its a main glass in the main door, the door has two lights that are 8"wide and 36" high i got one on the right:( it is a double glass piece threma pane .. i know that i will need to get the whole thing in reguards to the glass itself but i cant see how they got the wood trim held in there to hold the works in and look purty to.. is it glued ?
Larry with out looking at the unit, i would guess that the trim comes off from the inside and there's just some pin nails holding it in place. Also there's probable some caulk in there also. I would take a razor knife and coming in from the glass side try cutting very carefully and see if what i'm guessing don't take it off. I have a very small trim bar that after i'm sure the seal is broken takes them off easy . Most of them that i've seen are also friction fit also, so you will have to make sure you take the right one off first. Hope this helps, and if i was closer i'd come by and do it for ya.:)

I remember the older double pane windows had argon gas blown in them, don't know if it displaced the oxygen or if it was stable and didn't allow condensation. :huh::dunno:
Either way, the argon is gone so no explosion hazard!! :rofl::p:rofl::rofl: