Thread: Daughter up to bat with hollow forms

Daughter up to bat with hollow forms

I got turn another hollow form today and I was really liking how things were going. I was turning the section near to the neck and I think the cutter must have moved (or I had it set to thin) on me because I sliced thru the side wall in one part of the vessel. Soooooo, I stood there cussing for a bit and then thought ahhhhh well and I was going to throw it in the firewood pile when my daughter came out. She asked about it and I explained what happened and was going to throw it out - but she wanted it with the addition of a cut out pattern she drew on it.

Picture 1,2,3 - Im not over thrilled about it but she likes it and wants it finished shinney with a top. So next step is the top and to finish it. Currently sitting inside after a couple coats inside and out with DO........11" tall and 7 1/4" wide

Picture 4 was a refinish on a bowl - very bland - daughter wanted it dark reddish color so .............walla.........spray laquer finish and now drying. A bit to dark perhaps but again she likes it ......4" tall and 7" wide ....LOL

Picture-5 tall vessel sitting inside to cure the 3 sanded in coats of Do that were put on.......10" tall and 6" wide

Picture -6 is my cluttered counter top in the TV room where I keep some turning stuff (small container of DO, OOOO steel wool, grey scotch pad, assorted finials, reading glasses). My wife does not like the clutter there but ignores it because I explained that everybody that turns has this stuff at there bar counter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large hollow.jpg   Large Hollow-2.jpg   Large Hollow-3.jpg   Red.jpg   Hollow-4.jpg  

Clutter.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 08-14-2010 at 03:43 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Your daughter has good taste. I really like her cut-out idea also, really add to the piece.

i can see that holding a light in side and mking its way to a elegant end table.. nice idea for the gal,, you should consult with her more
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I think you should team up with her more often.

Larry your right and I may just do that.....she can use it for a lamp....

Yep she saved it from the designer wood pile i have.......but today is another one for turning or so im hoping with some workers comming and I have to be around so I just may get a bit more time out there to try again.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................