New Websites

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A few friends and I have gotten together and set up a new site for marketing our work (and ourselves). John Hart (some of you might know him from Sawmill Creek) has built a great-looking site to showcase six turners. It's still in the early stages, but feel free to have a look...

http://americanwoodturner.org

Considering the caliber of the other guys, I was very honored to be asked to tag along. :D

John has also created a sister site at http://americanwoodturner.com. It's intended to be an online cooperative of turners with member-submitted articles, photos, and discussions. There's a turning-related forum, and a lot more. It's also just getting off the ground, but it has the potential to be a great site. Drop in, check it out, and sign up if you're interested. :thumb:

didnt know john was prejudiced against flat folk:) so i dont have the crediatials to go there:) tell john i said heh vaughn havnt chatted with him in years.. actually he laft smc before the shake up..

went to look at the site just now and its got it all... well done john and to those involved congrats on the honors and there achievements.

Last edited:
The site looks good, got some good content and a friendly layout, very appealing. :thumb:

Don't sell yourself short Vaughn, you're a top notch turner and flatworker, got some great talents. Pretty good webmaster too. ;)

You definitely belong in that group my friend! It looks like another forum to create ideas from. I sincerely hope it doesn't mean this is the beginning of the end for us here on seeing your posts/work and theories.

Very cool stuff and I love a well developed website. Great shots of everyone's work and the "interest" stories are well written and . . . well . . . . interesting. ;-)

......... I sincerely hope it doesn't mean this is the beginning of the end for us here on seeing your posts/work and theories.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha..... snort.... ha ha ha ha ha ah...... wheeze, chuckle........ sigh.... :rolleyes: :D

Not very likely, I think if cut, Vaughn would bleed Family Woodworking beige (or whatever color you call this) :thumb:

Seriously, I expect to see Vaughn just posting in both places, he is much too talented to only post in one place :clap:

Well done Vaughn. The sites are excellent. And +1 on not selling yourself short at all!!!!! Real good mix to be in :thumb:

I particularly like the seperation of the technical side from the "art gallery side" by two sites. Excellent solution for image.

Glad you took the plunge.

One critique if i may and that is that you need to step up the photographing a little. I dont know if its a resolution thing or old pics that you cannot do much about, but your backgrounds dont quiet come out as nice as some of the other guys photography.

There is way to much of your work that i just love on your site to comment about.:thumb: But that ebony bowl is wow with the two tone.

Oh also i like the way Mark Cothren puts the name and size on his images. For the web it gives them a little bit of a watermark, although i guess someone could photoshop it out. But when you looking at the image enlarged you dont have to worry about title and the size is handy. I notice he aint doing it on more recent ones.

The images you guys have just scream calendar to me. But i guess you been there done that. Still you know lightning can strike in the same place twice.:D Hey how about a up market set of printed coasters on some neat cork base. Seems a waste not to get those images out in other mediums. Between the 6 of you, you have such a great collection of fine images and work. With 6 of you participating in the site you guys should think of getting yourself a "marketing co." costs/6 for outside think out of the box "non turner/non woodworker" marketing outfit would do a great deal to bring "joe public" into the thinking. After all the aim is selling some art .......right and to a market that does not think to themselves they can do it themselves and but also have the loot to pay.

Vaughn, the site is visually appealing, very classy, and certainly gives the visitor the sense that one is dealing with professionals. Excellent work, and thanks for showing it.