magazine choice

pick your 2cd choice for a magazine, not fine woodworking.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good thread, Larry. I've been contemplating getting a subscription to something. Thought I would get Shop Notes, but LOML got me 3 issues to ocupy my mind the day of her surgery, and while I like the magazine it doesn't seem like a great fit for what I'm looking for right now. I need to look at a couple issues of the sister publication, Woodsmith to see if it is more what I'm looking for. Also need to look through some of the others just to make sure. I'm not ready for Fine Woodworking. Furniture building isn't my main interest right now. I'll watch this closely!!! Jim.

I kept a subscription to Woodsmith and Shop Notes for several years and really enjoyed them. About three or four years ago I bought a lathe and quickly became addicted to turning. Now my only subscription is American Woodturner.

Wood has projects and topics that fit my skill level or interest at this time. Haven't gotten much shop time, interesting how my new shop has provided me with a new season for woodworking, before it was to cold out in the winter, now with the new shop, winter seems to be the season I get time to work in there. :dunno::huh:

How come no Fine Woodworking Larry :huh:

That is the only one I get now, I enjoy it, not so many adverts, and with the online subscription too, I have access to their whole list of past issues, or most of it I guess. :D

Well I started out with Wood, then dropped it and went to Fine Woodworking then added wood.

Now i have let both expire. I find that i have enough projects and things to learn in the magazines i have and i have not really done them justice. I am also finding that books are better value.

The magazines keep repeating to me. Since i joined the forum i have achieved way more than I did when i was getting magazines and not being a member of a forum.

I find that the magazines get one going in the "machnist direction" where you easily get caught up like i did at one time in "you gotta have this and you gotta have that" before you get any woodworking fun going.

No more for me thank you. Sorry but i get more shop time this way.:D

If i had to choose it would be Shop notes and Finewoodworking.

Well, LOML was sleeping this afternoon, and it's too hot in the shop. I tried. So I dug through my stack of woodworking stuff and found a copy of Wood magazine that I had bought last fall for a coupon, and realized I never sat down to go through it. So I fixed that. Nice magazine. Decent mix of jigs and projects. Good ideas and information. So I spent some time looking online for the best deal. I've found a 2 year subscription for $20.66. I don't think it comes with the bonus Jig supplement that Wood offers on their web site, but who knows...it might be part of it. Anyone see a better price on this? Or know something about Magazine Deals Now that I need to stay away from? Jim.

edit: A google search on them answered my question. I think I'll stay away unless some of you have had a good experience with them.

Last edited:
Shortly after I got started back into woodworking, I subscribed to Popular Woodworking and Wood Magazine, but I let them both expire after the first year or so. They were piling up around the house, and I wasn't getting anything more out of them than I was the various forums I participated in. These days I just get Woodturning Design (4 issues per year, a very generous gift from Kerry Burton) and the AAW Journal (6 issues per year). I dropped a few other non-woodworking mags too, because I wasn't spending the time to read them. I do still get Popular Mechanics, since I just couldn't turn down the $10 per year they offered.

[Edit to add...] I forgot about my online subscription to Fine Woodworking. I don't refer to it often, but their subscription site is full of ideas, as well as all the back issues.

actually, I had been rec'ing about all those at one time or another, but now I'm down to Wood..and qwhen that subscription expires,I'll not renew it. I have enough plans laid back to last me twenty years..finding storage for all thos mags also became an issue.