Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many board feet and how many species

how many board feet and how many species

for the non pros of the group, obviously a professional cabinet maker or furniture builder might keep quite an inventory.
    but for the non pros, Im curious how much lumber you guys/gals keep in your stockpile.
    do you just purchase before you build a project?
    If you buy wood when the price is right, like I usually do, how many species of lumber do you have on hand, not talking pen blanks, Im talking enough bf to build something with.
    I feel as long as the wood is stored properly, value does not go down, so its not like I could lose money if I sit on a couple hundred bf of anything for acouple years.

i havnt got time to count allen as for my experiences with others and myself before the ship's came in. they and i would figure out what was need for the job, increase by 35% and do the project. if they had left over then that became something to look at for the next project or just go on the shelf. another thing to consider as bob gibson mentioned is that in the different grades you incur more loss in the quality of the wood you get. but you do tend to get better figure in the lower grades. i hope you cant be "wood poor" because if you can then i am
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

notmany of us have access to the lumber you do, so when the iron is hot, I strike.
    if I come across someone who wants to dump lumber at relatively cheap prices for me, I will buy it and not worry about when or what Im going to build with it.
    besides blades and router bits, lumber is my main ongoing cost for my woodworking habits.

I've got somewhere around a hundred board feet each of red oak, hard maple, walnut, cherry and poplar, plus about a hundred board feet total of various other species - like spalted soft maple, white oak, hickory, bloodwood, goncalo alves, etc.

Also a 'because it's handy' pile of 2 X 4s, 1 X 12s, etc. of pine, and some assorted plywoods.

About half my small barn is full of wood, plus a bunch (too much, actually) laying about the shop.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I used to have a couple of hundred bf of cherry and maple... I've been whittling down on that stash this year. I generally buy what I need as I go from project to project.
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Allen,
    I keep very little in terms of inventory. I only buy what I need for what ever I am working on at the time. I'f I came across a super deal I might lay in some stock but it would have to be an exceptional deal.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I believe most guys who build different units for commision, like you don, wouldnt keep as much as lets say a kitchen guy, who builds with cherry or white oak or a few others.
    Id rather not buy from any local lumber yards, since prices on long island are off the wall insane for lumber.
    but if Im spending time travelling or excess money on gasoline, Id rather make the trip worth wild in the long run and buy excess at a good price.
    ONce I retire and get serious with the furniture building 500 bf of lumber wont be around that long.

I have a real problem, I dont find many woods unappealing. I think most of them have a certain beauty so I dont mind building furniture out of most species and I dont mind mixing different colored pieces of furniture in one room.

I might have someone selling me white oak, 8/4, at less than 1.00 a bf, so even though I have no use for it currently, (unless I get it by tuesday for the chairs), Id still take it at that price and just pile it up.(150 bf of it, but its local for me)
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-14-2010 at 05:42 PM.

BOY i would be all over that deal In a heartbeat Allen. I wish I could come accross the deals you get. I only buy what I need for a project. I really don't have the room to store much extra wood. Same with sheet goods I figure what I'll need and thats what I buy.

allen 8/4 white oak in a good grade is a steal at the price you showing us..8/4 white oak is one of the hardest woods to get dry.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    BOY i would be all over that deal In a heartbeat Allen. I wish I could come accross the deals you get. I only buy what I need for a project. I really don't have the room to store much extra wood. Same with sheet goods I figure what I'll need and thats what I buy.
    when people want to clean out somewhere, to them, the wood is just a nuisance. I havent seen the wood yet, so I wont be satisfied I got a good deal till I can see it personally and make sure its useable for me.
    he mentioned he has a bunch of used tools hed like to sell, and IM looking for a sawzall, so Ill see what happens by tuesday.
    and with deals, theres usually no picking and choosing. Ya gotta take what they want to sell, and if that means a few cracked, split, or warped boards so be it.