how many board feet and how many species

Allen i now buy per project. I started out with buying a bunch of shorts just to mess with. Never really had any hardwood to speak of until MI chocolate arrived. Now that the shops getting to working stage, I am thinking buying some stock, especially after my experience the other day.

However i am also concerned about being in the situation like happens invariably with nuts and bolts etc. You start a project thinking you have what you need. Then find you aint got it. Now you got all your cash tied up in all sorts and none to get the extra to do the job. Then you start to use different stuff just to be able to finish.

Done that so many times with hardware and end up with way to much that never gets used. So as a hobbiest i buy per project.

Of course if i came across deals like you get, well it would be hard to resist and i would do what you do and buy a bundle.

You made a real good point this last while of being really productive and knocking things out. Also not being too upset if things go wrong, cause you reach for another piece of wood. I think one has to attribute that also to having that stock on hand. So imho i think having a decent stash lets you make more and live easier with mistakes. As you said some time, its only wood.

I like Bobs point too. If one pays a good price one can live with cutting out the bad bits.

I do feel for the guys that cannot buy rough sawn lumber and deal with it in their shop. The planner and jointer get a quick payback though if you got the room. Dont have to be an 8 inch or a 15" spiral either:D:):thumb:

Good post for discussion Allen.:thumb: