Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Colonial Poster Bed...Queen Size

Large Colonial Poster Bed...Queen Size

This is what I have been doing for the past week. All that is left are the rails then a lot of sanding and fill. Then I can get started on the finish. After this is done is the get 2 dressers, 2 nightstands, and then a small computer are ......and then the master bedroom will be done and I can move on......but first I need a day off!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed1.JPG   bed2.JPG   bed3.JPG   bed4.JPG   bed5.JPG  

Los Angeles, CA
    Great. Looks nice so far. I will be waiting for the finished pics. You deserve a day off.

What type of wood is that?

new york city burbs
    nice bed, looks like pine.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    looks good so far Dom.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    That's gonna look massive when it's done. I like the scale. Looking great so far.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Plainwell, Michigan
    Massive for sure, I sure hope you have a large bedroom mine is to small for something of that size, and as for the bed..............AWESOME Dom What is the finish?

Amherst, New Hampshire
    What Tom said. That is sure massive But it sure looks nice.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Delton, Michigan
    i must say you been holding out on us dom and that bed is definatly king sized.. the fake drawer in the foot board is clever make you want to open them but i am sure you cant... what are you using for the rails along the side and how are you attaching them? nice work Dom
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

GTA Ontario Canada
    Very nice Dom, i like Pine too. Uplifting color you got a nice balance of knots. Sure like the false draws at the bottom.

Thanks to all....and it will be a day off...the back is screaming at me. I have used pine for this because I wanted the balance of knots incorporated in the bed. The main pillars are 7 x 6...that being said I had a hard time finding anything that size here in the backwoods of Edgewater. Here you have two choices, Lowes and Depot, and neither have anything even close to large lumber. So I had to use 4 x 4 fence posts and veneer that with 1 x 4 and 1 x 8 spf. The rails will be 2 x 6 cut to 4 1/2 and then 1x 4 supports for the mattress. The finish will be English Chestnut and Satin Poly for the final. The rails because of their size and the fact that the headboard pillars are so massive, are going to be attached using framing hangers, like you would use in floor joists. I painted them black in the hope that the will be more hidden from view. The mattress I use with the LOML is very heavy and specially made for my spine condition, so instead of using the normal 5 braces, I will be using 10. Also once I had my kids move this off of my assembly bench, I noticed the weight of the headboard pillars, so I intend on using hidden braces attached to the wall studs, so someone can jump up and down on the mattress and the headboard will not even shake a little....not that I intend on doing that, my jumping up and down on bed days are far over!