Large Colonial Poster Bed...Queen Size

Dom DiCara

This is what I have been doing for the past week. All that is left are the rails then a lot of sanding and fill. Then I can get started on the finish. After this is done is the get 2 dressers, 2 nightstands, and then a small computer are ......and then the master bedroom will be done and I can move on......but first I need a day off!

Attachments

• bed1.JPG
    bed1.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 72
  • bed2.JPG
    bed2.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 66
  • bed3.JPG
    bed3.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 57
  • bed4.JPG
    bed4.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 53
  • bed5.JPG
    bed5.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 60
Massive for sure, I sure hope you have a large bedroom mine is to small for something of that size, and as for the bed..............AWESOME Dom:thumb::thumb::thumb: What is the finish?

i must say you been holding out on us dom:) and that bed is definatly king sized.. the fake drawer in the foot board is clever make you want to open them but i am sure you cant... what are you using for the rails along the side and how are you attaching them? nice work Dom:thumb::thumb:

Thanks to all....and it will be a day off...the back is screaming at me. I have used pine for this because I wanted the balance of knots incorporated in the bed. The main pillars are 7 x 6...that being said I had a hard time finding anything that size here in the backwoods of Edgewater. Here you have two choices, Lowes and Depot, and neither have anything even close to large lumber. So I had to use 4 x 4 fence posts and veneer that with 1 x 4 and 1 x 8 spf. The rails will be 2 x 6 cut to 4 1/2 and then 1x 4 supports for the mattress. The finish will be English Chestnut and Satin Poly for the final. The rails because of their size and the fact that the headboard pillars are so massive, are going to be attached using framing hangers, like you would use in floor joists. I painted them black in the hope that the will be more hidden from view. The mattress I use with the LOML is very heavy and specially made for my spine condition, so instead of using the normal 5 braces, I will be using 10. Also once I had my kids move this off of my assembly bench, I noticed the weight of the headboard pillars, so I intend on using hidden braces attached to the wall studs, so someone can jump up and down on the mattress and the headboard will not even shake a little....not that I intend on doing that, my jumping up and down on bed days are far over!:D

I would use these. http://www.antique-hardware.com/Bed%20Parts%20-%20New/BF-101.htm

This is what I used on the bed frames I made when I had a production shop. The the more you rock them the tighter they get but when you need to move the bed they just need a good bump to get them apart.

They will hold what ever you throw at them and they are hidden.

There are other places to get them this is just the first site I came to that had a picture of them I have never bought from this place.

Jay

Larry gave me some food for thought and I am throwing the joist hangers into the hardware bucket in the shop...they are not going on the bed.....anyone think that these will support the weight?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5783&tagem=rv

Dom, I just used these on a twin bed for my grand daughter and they worked out OK. However they are a bit light weight and I would be nervous using them on a bed as heavy as yours. The screws are #8's I think and they are not really long enough to hold a lot of weight. Need something beefier or mortised in, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Are you ready for honest opinions? I tried offering once before to another fellow and got slammed and insulted. If you are open minded and willing to take another's opinion with a grain of salt...

If you are going for authentic effect, go with the Cast knuckles Jay suggested. I use them. Costs a bit more but the results will be better. The Rocklers are only as strong as the screws that hold them, the others are morticed into the posts and should be morticed into the rails. Will support a "Wedding Bed" of activities as well as "Jumping Princesses" later on.

Last edited:
Are you ready for honest opinions? I tried offering once before to another fellow and got slammed and insulted. If you are open minded and willing to take another's opinion with a grain of salt...

If you are going for authentic effect, go with the Cast knuckles Jay suggested. I use them. Costs a bit more but the results will be better. The Rocklers are only as strong as the screws that hold them, the others are morticed into the posts and should be morticed into the rails. Will support a "Wedding Bed" of activities as well as "Jumping Princesses" later on.

I totally agree. Rockler has similar supports. Again. a bed that big with the heavy mattress you are going to use really requires a heavy duty support.

If you are going for authentic effect, go with the Cast knuckles Jay suggested. I use them. Costs a bit more but the results will be better. The Rocklers are only as strong as the screws that hold them, the others are morticed into the posts and should be mortised into the rails. Will support a "Wedding Bed" of activities as well as "Jumping Princesses" later on.

Always ready for honest opinions. Whether it be about these rail supports, my craftsmanship, or the fact that I am Sicilian!:D....no probs here. As for slamming anyone that offers advice...whether good or bad, what people need to realize sometimes is that all of us are just trying to help and educate our peers. Nothing malicious on a forum like this should be tolerated....

As for an authentic look.......not so much looking for that. Durability and structure strength is of the utmost importance though. I appreciate your response though and if what I bought wont cut it. then I will be back on the 'puter and order what Jay recommended.

The wedding bed and jumping princess comment had my wife rolling on the floor.....she said that those days are past.....thank G-d she understands my medical issues.

Thanks for the advice friend:thumb:

Well, My design advise is the Finials atop the posts, IMHO they are undersized for the massive structure. 4" ball atop a 8" posts just doesn't quite make it. Perhaps a thinner cap piece would allow the 3 1/2 dia balls to blend in better. are these the PT ones you spoke about on anther posting? you might look at http://www.vandykes.com/category/wooden-products for some Bun feet or their Finials .

In the "I would have" category, I would suggest that instead of the raised panels on each Newel Post (Looks like a Newel Post to me) a recesssed panel would lend a supportive contrast to the fake drawer fronts of the foot & head boards.

This is a quite formible piece and will enhance any large bedroom.

Did you mention if it a Full sized or Queen? If a Queen or larger, you really need center support, a 5th leg in the center. Using a notch on the side rail supports, you can affix a cross rail (or slat) with a 5th or 6th leg to support the middle of the foundation.

I assume from your wife's comments, the Wedding issue has past and the princesses are all grown up but don't negate the need for a pair of cast iron bath tubs watching the sunset. Things do happen with a new bed. Never know when you might want to See Alice. :thumb:

Last edited: