Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring holes Question & some more Pic's

Boring holes Question & some more Pic's

I tried out a new Forstner bit today (BorMax - 1 1/4" diameter) on a vessel i was hollowing for the heck of it to see how good it would work. I bored a hole in to end grain and it cut like a hot knife thru butter . So I decided to go down and buy an extension for it....... but, I struck out because they only sell a couple name brands that have quick disconnects on ends of them and will only fit their bits that have a hex head shaft tip.
    Finally, found one at another store but the guy there told me that with only set screws to hold it in - its bound to turn on the shaft. He said my only option would be to buy one of the name brand setups as i said above........
    Anybody know of something better that may work ?????
    I only bought the one bit so im not out much and I can still use it.

Picture 1-2-3 - show the bormax bit
    Pictures 4-5 - show the vessel still on the lathe

Picture 6 - is a bowl im refinishing for a friend and was oil soaked for 2 days in BLO/MS/Varnish mixture.....wiped down and now drying....will probably
    buff when dry.
    Picture - 7-8-9 are other taken out of soak and now drying..........thought i would put them in because I know everybody likes to see Pictures....LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturday Roughout-1.jpg   Saturday Roughout-2.jpg   Bormax-1.jpg   Bormax-2.jpg   Bormax-3.jpg  

Saturday Bowl.jpg   P1010033.jpg   Saturday Out of Soak-1.jpg   Saturday Out of Soak-3.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 08-15-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I have the 6" (or is it 8") version of this one:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...Category_Code=

I'e also got another one that's similar, but with just a single setscrew. I use that one for sanding, but not drilling.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep and the Maxi cut looks nice to but alot of money.......then again it would be nice to bore a hole for hollowing with 10" extension on it.....LOL
    but again more and more money ..............
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

That one's not the Rotastop extension for Maxicut bits. (Or at least the one I have isn't.) It's for plain ol' garden variety Forstner bits.

workingwoods.com

yeah I know what you mean.....also at craft supplies they have there Maxi cut and a video........still not cheap but they do cut deep nicely......

Dan if the only thing holding it on the cheaper extension would be screw inserts, could you not consider grinding one face slightly flat for the screw inserts to clamp on and stop the bit from rotating.? Would that not help.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Dan if the only thing holding it on the cheaper extension would be screw inserts, could you not consider grinding one face slightly flat for the screw inserts to clamp on and stop the bit from rotating.? Would that not help.
    I've not had a problem with the bit rotating in mine. The Morse taper on my drill chuck slips before the drill bit does, and if it does, I just know I've feeding too fast. If anything, I have trouble getting the bit out of the extension after the bit has heated up. It's a tight fit.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    I tried out a new Forstner bit today (BorMax - 1 1/4" diameter) on a vessel i was hollowing for the heck of it to see how good it would work.
    Finally, found one at another store but the guy there told me that with only set screws to hold it in - its bound to turn on the shaft. He said my only option would be to buy one of the name brand setups as i said above........
    Dan,
    I use an extension that I got from PSI or CSUSA... don't remember which, but it only uses set screws... I drill pappermill blanks upto 10 inches deep and have had no problem with slippage... I haven't tried it on my extension, but was given a suggestion on another problem with set screws to file a point on the screw where it touches the shaft to be held... then tighten it down and it would likely hold without slipping.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I use the same one Vaughn does and haven't ever had a problem with the bit turning.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ron and Chuck..........good ideas and thanks............i have not bought an extension yet but ill look at PSI and CSUSA.......good to know that others are not having the problems I was told about...............thanks