Boring holes Question & some more Pic's

Dan Mosley

I tried out a new Forstner bit today (BorMax - 1 1/4" diameter) on a vessel i was hollowing for the heck of it to see how good it would work. I bored a hole in to end grain and it cut like a hot knife thru butter . So I decided to go down and buy an extension for it....... but, I struck out because they only sell a couple name brands that have quick disconnects on ends of them and will only fit their bits that have a hex head shaft tip.
Finally, found one at another store but the guy there told me that with only set screws to hold it in - its bound to turn on the shaft. He said my only option would be to buy one of the name brand setups as i said above........
Anybody know of something better that may work ?????
I only bought the one bit so im not out much and I can still use it.

Picture 1-2-3 - show the bormax bit
Pictures 4-5 - show the vessel still on the lathe

Picture 6 - is a bowl im refinishing for a friend and was oil soaked for 2 days in BLO/MS/Varnish mixture.....wiped down and now drying....will probably
buff when dry.
Picture - 7-8-9 are other taken out of soak and now drying..........thought i would put them in because I know everybody likes to see Pictures....LOL

Attachments

• Saturday Roughout-1.jpg
    Saturday Roughout-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Saturday Roughout-2.jpg
    Saturday Roughout-2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Bormax-2.jpg
    Bormax-2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Bormax-3.jpg
    Bormax-3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Saturday Bowl.jpg
    Saturday Bowl.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Saturday Out of Soak-1.jpg
    Saturday Out of Soak-1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Saturday Out of Soak-3.jpg
    Saturday Out of Soak-3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Bormax-1.jpg
    Bormax-1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Yep and the Maxi cut looks nice to but alot of money.......then again it would be nice to bore a hole for hollowing with 10" extension on it.....LOL
but again more and more money ..............

That one's not the Rotastop extension for Maxicut bits. (Or at least the one I have isn't.) It's for plain ol' garden variety Forstner bits.

Dan if the only thing holding it on the cheaper extension would be screw inserts, could you not consider grinding one face slightly flat for the screw inserts to clamp on and stop the bit from rotating.? Would that not help.

Dan if the only thing holding it on the cheaper extension would be screw inserts, could you not consider grinding one face slightly flat for the screw inserts to clamp on and stop the bit from rotating.? Would that not help.

I've not had a problem with the bit rotating in mine. The Morse taper on my drill chuck slips before the drill bit does, and if it does, I just know I've feeding too fast. If anything, I have trouble getting the bit out of the extension after the bit has heated up. It's a tight fit.

I tried out a new Forstner bit today (BorMax - 1 1/4" diameter) on a vessel i was hollowing for the heck of it to see how good it would work.
Finally, found one at another store but the guy there told me that with only set screws to hold it in - its bound to turn on the shaft. He said my only option would be to buy one of the name brand setups as i said above........

Dan,
I use an extension that I got from PSI or CSUSA... don't remember which, but it only uses set screws... I drill pappermill blanks upto 10 inches deep and have had no problem with slippage... I haven't tried it on my extension, but was given a suggestion on another problem with set screws to file a point on the screw where it touches the shaft to be held... then tighten it down and it would likely hold without slipping.

Ron and Chuck..........good ideas and thanks............i have not bought an extension yet but ill look at PSI and CSUSA.......good to know that others are not having the problems I was told about...............thanks