Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Photo toyl

New Photo toyl

I'm shooting a wedding this coming weekend, so I picked up a new toyl for the Nikon. My camera can control the SB900 flashes remotely, so I bought a bracket to get the SB900 up off of the flash shoe, which helps eliminate red eye, and also lets me shoot in vertical mode with the flash above the Lens.

just a couple of quick grab shots... the idea is that the flash is up and away from the lens.
    -Ned

I should get one of those for my wife. Every picture she takes of a person the people look like they are possessed by demons

Nice Ned. Hope the wedding job works out well
    Faith, Hope & Charity

There you go again Ned, feeding my desire to get a real DSLR....

I came real close to ordering a Canon Rebel t1i last week due to all of your photography posts...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Bob,
    easier way than that to minimize red eye... but that's another forum...

Brent,
    come to the dark side... we've got photoshop, gimp, and megapixels!
    -Ned

Ned, If you've got an assistant. I've seen one of those used very effectively mounted on a mono-pod with a bracket with a umbrella for bounce. Pics I saw were at a wedding. Will see if I can find the link.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    we've got photoshop, gimp, and megapixels!
    I'm a fan of gimp and use it a fair amount, that's why I've been thinking of getting a better camera....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent...
    there are a ton of good used kits out there... (check your PM...) set a firm budget then find a kit that matches. I'm a Nikon fan, and for under $400 you can find a D50 with 18-55mm lens which will go a long way toward what you're looking to do. I haven't checked, but I bet there are similar Cannon offerings out there as well.
    -Ned

I've got a Canon 40D, I mostly went with Canon since most of my friends had them and we could swap lenses. I'd go with Nikon in a heart beat as well, both are good products. So, check to see what your friends are using. Once you start looking at lens prices, you'll quickly realize where you can same money by letting a good friend buy the lenses to borrow.

Most camera shops rent both Nikon and Canon lenses also, so try out a lens that way rather than paying full price to find out it's not the lens you want.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice get, Ned. That's the kind of toyl that can pay for itself.

Brent, get a DSLR. You won't regret it. I've got a bottom of the barrel D50 that has been great. It's about time to take it in and get it professionally cleaned (probably too much time in the shop, even though I use it sparingly in there), but it's been a rock-steady workhorse for me. For my use so far, the 6 megapixel size has been plenty. (Although now that I'm considering trying to do some poster-sized prints, I would like to have more megapixels to play with, but mostly so I can do my cropping after the fact, instead of with the camera.)

And I'll echo the other guys...Nikon or Canon both make great products. Just pick your flavor and run with it. (But keep in mind the chicks dig Nikon guys more. Right Ned?)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nice get, Ned. That's the kind of toyl that can pay for itself.

Brent, get a DSLR. You won't regret it. I've got a bottom of the barrel D50 that has been great. It's about time to take it in and get it professionally cleaned (probably too much time in the shop, even though I use it sparingly in there), but it's been a rock-steady workhorse for me. For my use so far, the 6 megapixel size has been plenty. (Although now that I'm considering trying to do some poster-sized prints, I would like to have more megapixels to play with, but mostly so I can do my cropping after the fact, instead of with the camera.)

And I'll echo the other guys...Nikon or Canon both make great products. Just pick your flavor and run with it. (But keep in mind the chicks dig Nikon guys more. Right Ned?)

Vaughn,
    I'm hoping it does, though it wasn't all that expensive, it would be nice if It did help pay for itself.

as for your D50, that's one of the models I've suggested to several friends who were looking to get into a DSLR on a budget. Either that or a D70, given how we photo guys love to upgrade our kits, there are plenty of both on the used market with decent glass.

Vaughn, the yellow strap camera gets MUCH more attention from the ladies vs the red strap camera....

actually considering the work camera is a 5DII, that one gets more stares than the D300s, but it also has a honKing huge wide angle lens with a snout on it, it LOOKS like a pro camera. Both do the job though.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 08-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    -Ned