New Photo toyl

Ned Bulken

I'm shooting a wedding this coming weekend, so I picked up a new toyl for the Nikon. My camera can control the SB900 flashes remotely, so I bought a bracket to get the SB900 up off of the flash shoe, which helps eliminate red eye, and also lets me shoot in vertical mode with the flash above the Lens.

just a couple of quick grab shots... the idea is that the flash is up and away from the lens.

There you go again Ned, feeding my desire to get a real DSLR.... :thumb:

I came real close to ordering a Canon Rebel t1i last week due to all of your photography posts... :D :thumb:

Ned, If you've got an assistant. I've seen one of those used very effectively mounted on a mono-pod with a bracket with a umbrella for bounce. Pics I saw were at a wedding. Will see if I can find the link.

Brent...
there are a ton of good used kits out there... (check your PM...) set a firm budget then find a kit that matches. I'm a Nikon fan, and for under $400 you can find a D50 with 18-55mm lens which will go a long way toward what you're looking to do. I haven't checked, but I bet there are similar Cannon offerings out there as well.

I've got a Canon 40D, I mostly went with Canon since most of my friends had them and we could swap lenses. I'd go with Nikon in a heart beat as well, both are good products. So, check to see what your friends are using. Once you start looking at lens prices, you'll quickly realize where you can same money by letting a good friend buy the lenses to borrow. :D

Most camera shops rent both Nikon and Canon lenses also, so try out a lens that way rather than paying full price to find out it's not the lens you want.

Nice get, Ned. :thumb: That's the kind of toyl that can pay for itself.

Brent, get a DSLR. You won't regret it. :D I've got a bottom of the barrel D50 that has been great. It's about time to take it in and get it professionally cleaned (probably too much time in the shop, even though I use it sparingly in there), but it's been a rock-steady workhorse for me. For my use so far, the 6 megapixel size has been plenty. (Although now that I'm considering trying to do some poster-sized prints, I would like to have more megapixels to play with, but mostly so I can do my cropping after the fact, instead of with the camera.)

And I'll echo the other guys...Nikon or Canon both make great products. Just pick your flavor and run with it. (But keep in mind the chicks dig Nikon guys more. Right Ned?)

Nice get, Ned. :thumb: That's the kind of toyl that can pay for itself.

Brent, get a DSLR. You won't regret it. :D I've got a bottom of the barrel D50 that has been great. It's about time to take it in and get it professionally cleaned (probably too much time in the shop, even though I use it sparingly in there), but it's been a rock-steady workhorse for me. For my use so far, the 6 megapixel size has been plenty. (Although now that I'm considering trying to do some poster-sized prints, I would like to have more megapixels to play with, but mostly so I can do my cropping after the fact, instead of with the camera.)

And I'll echo the other guys...Nikon or Canon both make great products. Just pick your flavor and run with it. (But keep in mind the chicks dig Nikon guys more. Right Ned?)

Vaughn,
I'm hoping it does, though it wasn't all that expensive, it would be nice if It did help pay for itself.

as for your D50, that's one of the models I've suggested to several friends who were looking to get into a DSLR on a budget. Either that or a D70, given how we photo guys love to upgrade our kits, there are plenty of both on the used market with decent glass.

Vaughn, the yellow strap camera gets MUCH more attention from the ladies vs the red strap camera....

actually considering the work camera is a 5DII, that one gets more stares than the D300s, but it also has a honKing huge wide angle lens with a snout on it, it LOOKS like a pro camera. Both do the job though.

Last edited:
Alrighty then, sounds like dslr is the way to go. I'll get my craiglist search setup! Thanks for the advice Ned (And others!)

Well, Pulled the trigger on relatively old "Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera".

Was really tempted to go with a brand new Canon Ti1, but just couldn't see putting 700$ into a camera, especially knowing that Sharon would kill me... :D

So this camera is only 6.3 megapix, but it's got all the other features I wanted to play with for only around 200 bux on Fleabay. Should work fine for me, and hey, if I really pick it up and want something better in a few years, well, then I can make the jump up.

It was about a 1000$ camera in 2003, so I saved about a hundred bucks a year by waiting...:rolleyes:

Gee, Brent finally listened to me. I told him, with all of his hobbies that spending too much money on one that may last only two weeks, is perhaps not the best thing :rofl::rofl:

Besides, if he really gets into it, then he can buy the $1000 one he wants today for a song in a few years :D

Brent,
you're going to love the DSLR, the only thing you might 'miss' is that you won't be able to blow up to poster size... was that on your to do list while learning?

6.3 Mpx is still going to be plenty of file size for typical day to day use and web posting.

Congrats, that should be a nice camera Brent. Is it the one at the link below?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...ems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_digital_rebel

You can download the Canon software from that site, as well as firmware updates.

Might check to see if yours is at version 1.1.1

That's it. already downloaded the manual. Will have to find some CF memory cards. I've got a couple laying around I think, but would like to get some others. Will probably have to pick up new batteries as well, I'd imagine...

Brent,
you're going to love the DSLR, the only thing you might 'miss' is that you won't be able to blow up to poster size... was that on your to do list while learning?

6.3 Mpx is still going to be plenty of file size for typical day to day use and web posting.

Biggest I'd probably want is 8x10, so the 6.3mp should work fine. Can't imagine poster size. Most of what I want it for is 'creative' photography. Some long exposure night time shots, star shots, meteors. General portrait type stuff (amatuer of course). Some intervalometer (time lapse) type stuff as well would be nice.

Brent, my D50 is only 6 megapixels, and it's not been a limiting factor for me so far. Congrats on the new camera. You're gonna love DSLR, especially if you've got 35mm DLR experience. :thumb:

Brent, my D50 is only 6 megapixels, and it's not been a limiting factor for me so far. COngrats o the new camera. You're gonna love DSLR, especially if you've got 35mm DLR experience. :thumb:

Played with SLR's a bunch. Had nice one with a good sized telephoto lense, but got stolen out of a car probably 15+ years ago. Point and shoot since then. Did a little dark room work in high school and always wanted dark room equipment, but the digital revolution renders that as an archaic art that really isn't necessary, but I hope that enough people do it to keep it alive...

So let me see. I have a Canon FTB SLR with a 55mm lense, also a 90-230 mm telephoto and a 28 mm wide angle. Is there a DSLR body that will work woth my lenses ?:huh:

Not sure. Been researching which lenses would work with the camera I'm buying and so far all I can figure out is they need to be 'efs' compatible?

Got a bit of a learning curve ahead of me, so if I find anything out, I'll let you know...