Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little family history

A little family history

We were over at my wife's aunt house last night looking through a photo album she put together about my wife's grand mother. On one section of the album she had a catalog for a company that was started by my wife's great-great grandfather and his brothers, the Kaudy Manufacturing Company of Grand Rapids, WI (now Wisconson Rapids). They manufactured saloon bars, ice boxes, chairs, cigar displays, etc. for Saloons. Her great-great grandfather eventually split off and started his own company building furniture, bank teller windows, and saloon equipment as well, but on a smaller scale.

I only had my cell phone, so some of the pics aren't the clearest. This is her great-great grandfather with one of the bars they built. Below is the cover of the catalog and link to the other pages of it.

Other catalog pages: http://picasaweb.google.com/libertys...lass/KaudyMfg#

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GGGKaudy.jpg   KaudyMfg.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren, I think all of us here have some sawdust in our gene pool.
    Victor

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    A video is worth a thousand pictures.
    Experience is priceless.

Man, that's cool, Darren.

Looking at that bar, I'd guess the the CNC rig they carved the appliques with must have been pretty advanced for its time. 8008? PDP-10?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

that is neat darren now if we could get some pricing on that stuff it would really scare you ,, what years are these taken in?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The company started in another town in 1878, but later moved to Grand Rapids about 1904 (best estimate) as it was a rail road town and they could ship all over the country. They did well until prohibition, but had to close the company around 1934. My wife's great-great grandfather then opened his own business around that time and did very well doing furniture, bank teller windows, and such.

I looked last night and found two pieces on ebay that looked like their work and both were in the WI area, but one was $19,000 and the other about $36,000. Unless we win the lottery, we'll have to admire their work from the pictures. It definitely sparks an interest though. Told my wife I'll have to start visiting bars...you know...to do research.

Vaughn, I think the CNC was named Bill, Matt, or Gerard. Might have been Matt Jr. or Matt II though, the second generation of CNC at the time.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren, those were great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

You should try and get them to have the whole lot scanned and stored digitally.

I have done that for many of our family shots going back to the black and white versions. That way they are preserved regardless of lifes mishaps like floods, hurricanes etc.

Would make for a great website, when you see the work of old.

I like the marketing. $16.50 for a dozen chairs. The competition was $12 to $14 with the statement "Do not class this chair with cheap trash offered at $12 to $14"

$2 bucks difference over a dozen chairs and it made a difference

Wonder what a beer cost. And what a bar fight would cost when the place got busted up. Boy if you could barely afford a beer and started a fight that broke a few chairs you sure were in deep in debt after that night out.

I love these old bars, looked all over my computer for a reasonable image of one downtown Toronto that i was going to take Mr. Merlau to had he stopped over for more than a few hours. but could not find one. Sure i had it though. They have this large old clock right at the top center and then a mirror on the back and shelving round the sides with a huge copper pipe on the counter where the beer taps are mounted.

You had me thinking of that show "Cheers" and thier pub.

I love a good bar and a night out with some friends in a pub.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    cheers

The bar is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. It is simply amazing. The size of the room that it fit in must have also been massive

Still have yet to find any of the Kaudy bars anywhere local, but came across one in this book (#16), may have to take a road trip some day to see it in person and get some photos

http://books.google.com/books?id=78o...0kaudy&f=false
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Skellett View Post
    Darren, I think all of us here have some sawdust in our gene pool.
    You bet! And all of mine is in my head.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Very psyched today, I had asked my wife's aunt if they could do a high-res scan of the catalog for me. To my surprise, they handed me the catalog and told us we were the keepers of it from now on. Need to do some research on paper preservation and figure out what things to do and what not to do. I will be doing a scan of it for safe keeping, but anyone have any advice on preservation? It's got some damage and lots of wear, would like to just keep it from getting any worse.

BTW...checkout the link below on page 112 & page 113, one of their bars is at that pub...

http://books.google.com/books?id=78o...g%20co&f=false
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 11-02-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    Darren